Health Anxiety, can't convince myself that I don't have cancer

Posted , 4 users are following.

for the past few years I've been convinced I had various types of cancer, the main one being ovarian cancer. I have indigestion quite regularly so that doesn't really help. I try to rationally convince myself I don't have cancer but it doesn't work. I have been able to convince myself I dont have some things in the past, eg appendicitis, but I just can't get ovarian cancer out of my head. I convince myself that I can feel a tumour around that area. I am 18 years old

Unlike most cases I've read about health anxiety, I avoid the doctor at all cost. I start panicking if I think about going to the doctor. I avoid looking up the symptoms of ovarian cancer, as they further convince me I have it and often trigger a panic attack. I am also afraid someone will reply to this post telling me I should definitely go and see a doctor. 

My worst fear is that a doctor will confirm I have some sort of cancer, especially terminal cancer.

I have seen a phsychologist who has been able to help me get over other anxiety conditions such as fear of flying on planes, but my health anxiety and fear of visiting the doctor hasn't gone away in the slightest.

Has anyone experienced a similar situation? Can someone convince me I'm not terminally ill? How can I stop having panic attacks everytime I read/hear something about cancer or terminal illness?

The smallest thing that might mean I don't have cancer will help.

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Alice!

I can convince you that you haven't got ovarian cancer.

An enlarged ovary is impossible to feel via the abdomen. None of your internal sex organs can be felt abdominally, except when you're pregnant, obviously, because then the uterus can be felt from the twelth week.

Go and ask your doctor or practice nurse to do a vaginal exam. They will be able to feel an enlarged ovary if there is one, and would then refer you for an ultrasound scan to see what is wrong. The vast majority of enlarged ovaries turn out to be cysts, not cancer.

Main symptoms are great pain in right shoulder and abdomen becoming enlarged.

It's so easy to rule out that you ought to see a health practitioner for a vaginal exam. Done.                                                                       love Tess xx

• Posted

Hi Alice. I have the same problem, everything I feel a symptom in my body I right away think of some sort of cancer. I have went to a therapist about it. But I feel that this fear has not really gone way. I have learned some methods to prove these thoughts overpowering. I always reminded myself that this symptoms that I am feel is not cancer but it is anxiety.

I used to always get a panic attack when I thought about cancer or heart disease. I still something get a panic attack when I think I am dying. I hope that you will get well

• Posted

thanks so much, its great to hear that I'm not alone.

Have a look at the comment from tess33005, it was really useful for me smile

• Posted

Hi alice i too convinced myself i had ovarian cancer the more i looked and read about the symptoms i ended up having them . I was back n forth at my doctors for weeks until he said he would send me for a ultraound scan and transvaginal scan anyway i decided i couldnt wait the 2 weeks for the scan and took myself to a and e where i went as a was having pain right where my left ovary was and aching in my groin area i thought i cant wait another 2 weeks this will have spread i ended up on pain killers but because they werent working for the pain they admitted me so i ended up in hospital over the weekend till they controlled the pain and sent me 4 my scans ..I had my scans done and they came back clear . After a couple of weeks all the symptoms id been suffering with had gone . So to me it just goes to show how powerful our minds can be when we think theres a problem . I hope this helps x
    • Posted

Thankyou Helen, definitely good too hear, and I am sorry you had to go through that. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.