Health Anxiety causing feeling of weak muscles?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hey guys, 

I've been dealing with some pretty bad anxiety issues for a month and a half now. I've been to the ER and had a Doctor appointment today. 

Both said my symptoms are caused by anxiety and stress but are doing tests to make sure. 

I was prescribed an anti depressent today that's used for generalized anxiety disorder. 

I haven't taken any yet and am going to take it every night before I sleep with a meedication I was given for insomnia as well. 

I've had a LARGE list of symptoms over the past month that all come and go and i'm terrified I'm having strokes caused by brain cancer or something. 

The doctor did a Neuro test on me and everything checked out fine. 

One night I was feeling a very odd weak/tingling feeling in both my arms and muscles I know this is a common symptom of anxiety so blew it off and the next day I felt fine. 

I made the mistake of googling too much and found a video on a neurology test and the person said that someone with brain cancer could be seen leaning or drifting to one direction when walking. Now I have it in my mind that I'm getting pulled to the left but I've made sure my balance is fine and I never actually loose balance to the left, it's certainly all in my head. 

The Doctor told me that usually with brain cancer weakness would only happen on one side of the body so now my left arm feels like it's weak and I feel like my muscles are kind of tingly. 

I did pushups and curls with both arms and neither are actually weak it just feels this way. 

I skateboard daily and have NO issues with my balance or weakness. 

I just feel like my left arm is tingley or weak FREAKING ME OUT that's it's only on my left side like I said had 0 issues or weakness when doing 1 handed pushups or curls with each arms yet it feels like it's tingly or heavy... 

Should I be worried?

Reassurance always helps. 

I seriously can't get over the constant worry something is wrong and I'm hoping the meds help as it feels like my brain just keeps creating weird symptoms... 

So over being scared constantly. 

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Don't fear Please. 

I'm constantly feeling odd tingly and numb arms that feel like jello at times and at times like bowling balls and numb arms and legs with weakness and random aches.  Classic Anxiety symptom.(: No nerve damage 

• Posted

Thanks for the reassurance. 

Just freaking me out it's targetting my left arm after worrying about one side being weak. 

I got up, put together a new desk chair and ate dinner, felt fine till I sat back down and got on my computer. 

• Posted

No problem! I'm pretty young to have heart attack but when I freak out my arms It also makes my left arm hurt. But I'm fine and Here(: Anxiety causes reactions in the body. Like I felt super dizzy and felt like Im going Crazy. Just anxiety though

• Posted

Have you experianced the weakness/heaby feeling in one arm only? 
    • Posted

heavy feeling* 
    • Posted

Yes, I have. Sometimes its my left arm or leg and sometimes its right and Sometimes its both!
    • Posted

Thanks. 

Really appreciate it! 

Forums like this are what keep me sane! 

• Posted

Don't Mention It. For me as well. Its good to know you have a community of people with Different Struggles individually but that can Offer Advice!

• Posted

Hello,

The weakness is classic anxiety. I have been struggling with it for awhile. All tests clear. I think it's basically tension.

With anxiety our bodies are under so much stress and always tensed up (fight or flight mode) that it does cause muscle aches. My arms felt heavy for ages and one day, it just shifted.

I have quite bad leg tension at the moment and some mornings I struggle to walk (I am only 26!). Yet during the day I can cycle or swim perfectly fine. It's a strange one. Googling is the worst thing you can do I think.

As hard as it is, taking your mind off it can help a lot. The problem with anxiety is that when you focus on something, you often drive the physical sensations.

• Posted

I suffer from gad and health anxiety too and had a weakness in both legs as well as arms,I thought I couldn't walk and that I'd faint in any minute. I felt really exhausted as well. It's all anxiety don't worry! Best of luck!

• Posted

Thanks for the help. 

Went away last night and was fine when I as doing some other things and had my mind on other things. 

Woke up find then saw something online about anxiety and it made my mind jump to "is my arm okay" and boom started feeling it again. 

Crawling skin, tingling and almost a pins and needle feeling. 

So spooky it's only in my left arm still... 

• Posted

Yeah I understand, you have to try and stop googling cause it does no good haha even though I still find it hard to stop it. My anxiety is bad in the morning, I wake up with anxiety and then I have a pressure in my head which freaks me out more..it's a vicious circle! As for your arm,you said it yourself that you read online that a person with a brain tumor has weakness/numbness mostly in one side, so this has entered your subconscious and your mind is playing tricks on you! I think you should try psychotherapy as pills on their own don't really solve the root of the problem! Keep us updated!

• Posted

So it's regular to have your mind play tricks on you?

It's like I feel better about one symptom but just develop another scary one a day later... 

• Posted

It's constant with anxiety,not just regular. Your mind likes playing tricks on you and triggering your anxiety. The best thing you can do is to try and control your mind somehow. Find things that instantly calm your mind. Yeah that's the scariest part. A new symptom, freaks me out every time!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.