Health Anxiety Fear of Cancer

Posted , 4 users are following.

Anyone else here have some health issues that popped up and it suddenly created an intense fear of cancer. I am currently struggling with stomach issues, doc thinks ibs and gastritis or ulcer, all tests are pretty much negative except a couple that doc tosses off as nothing to worry about but I can't stop worrying they are not finding the cancer and by the time they find it it will be too late. Last steps are colonoscopy and endoscopy but because I am so anxious I am afraid to have the tests. I am afraid of sedation and the experience but I am so sick.

Anyone relate?

2 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I'm in the same exact situation right now lol. I've had health anxiety, and many other symptoms from it, for about a year or 2 now. My current physical issues is my stomach.

• For past 3 months I get like a dull cramping all over my stomach after I eat (especially if it's fatty or acidic foods). I finally saw a gastro Dr this past week, he wants me to do an ultrasound and endoscopy. I did the ultrasound saturday, waiting on results. Endoscopy is sched for Jan 2nd. I'm veryyy anxious about the endoscopy. I do NOT want to be sedated, it freaks me out lol =(
    • The Dr told me though that it is not anesthia, it's like the same sedation you get if you have your wisdom teeth removed. He said I will only be out for like 15 min max, but still it freaks me out!! =(
    • Idk if my stomach issues are actually something wrong or if it's just anxiety though... I wouldn't be shocked if it was just anxiety bc I've already had some other weird symptoms in the past that were caused by anxiety.
    • The reason I think it may jus be anxiety is bc it comes and goes. If I'm distracted it will lessen, and when I'm nervous it's worse. The symptoms have also changed a big too bc 2 months ago it was more of the front of my stomach that would feel crampy. Now it's more on my sides, and even towards the sides on my back too. That makes me worried bc I start thinking what if I have kidney problems? Ughhhhh I hate anxiety!!!
    • Posted

Philly, you sound identical to me. It is really hard to know if it is the anxiety or a true health problem because I too notice my symptoms are much worse when anxious about it or if something stressful happens I develop a new symptom like lung burning. Do you take any medication for your anxiety? I know I will have to to get it under control.

• Posted

The only med I've taken is xanax, but on rare occasions. I do see a therapist tho and I find it helps me a lot!

• Posted

This sounds just like me. Ive had a pain left shoulder blade and i google and what pops up.......cancer.

i was talking to my mom actually last night and she thinks Im hyper sensitive to every pain now because I lost my brother to cancer 3 years ago. Since then I have gotten health anxiety and worry about it all of tve time.

• Posted

I am sorry about your brother. So many in my family died of cancer in their midlife which I am creeping up on so I wonder that about me too, the hypersensitivity because of fear.

• Posted

Yes 100% I relate, I too suffer with health anxiety. And also have digestive issues. I have bad wind on a daily basis even first thing in a morning when I havnt even eaten. Suffer with constipation most of the time, on and off bloating etc etc, I too have been told ibs and like you am back and forth at docs because I'm worried they are just tossing it off as me been anxious. Over the pat 2 years I have had stomach. Bowel, pancreatic. Oesophagus liver and breast cancer. This is without mentioning my other issues, twitching all over my body. Trouble swallowing. My limbs jerking, my hands and feet going numb. I'm soooo frightened I have a neurological illness now like mnd. I'm literally scared to death and my heart is pounding so believe me when I say I know exactly how you feel. Big hugs xxxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.