Health anxiety getting worse

Posted , 6 users are following.

feeling so low at the moment.  Becoming obsessed with these headaches.  Trying so hard to use CBT tactics but it's not working.  Not sure what to day to my GP on Friday.  She is a great doctor and I feel I have let everyone down.   Why can't I accept their reassurance 

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

First thing is to be honest and say CBT isnt working. It often doesnt, ask for a referal to psychotherapy to see about some more robust and more effective therapy.  Not being able to accept reassurance is all part of health anxiety, its very common
    • Posted

It is it that it doesnt work it the basics. Everyone needs to learn it at the very least. There is no "cure" but these tools and skills should be provided to every person with an anxiety disorder. It has worked on many as well. The statistcis iver fifty years orove its half. Half of the oeople benefit from it. It should never be excluded and never exoected as a quick fix, passive thing. Its also as good as the teacher teaching it. Which is the same as a bad therapist..so many of those too. Meds only work half the time as well and you get a bonus of withdrawls. Therapy also should be a given in this. But therapy, talk therapy, unless its situational, isnt the actual cure either. Its a mix of everything to be able to manage it. Noone even knows what it really is or why it does all this to us. Noone. Not yet. If they did there would be a fix by now. 
  • Posted

Hi phoeebe can i ask how long u have been on the meds for
    • Posted

I am not on any I asked for ant depressants but I don't think they were keen
  • Posted

Cbt is teach you whats going on with the anxiety and your thought rationale. For some thats enough. I feel its like anxiety disorder help basic 101. I think therapy should be coupled with it, mindfulness and what ever else you come across to self calm. Cbt doesnt work over night it can take up to a year of constant practice as well. THere is no quick fix. None. Its a slow slow grueling little process of tiny baby steos to retrain your brain. And even then panic attcks happen but hopefully you can manage them, accept and ride them out without fear.  There are five new meds in trial right now. One is in phase three its a nasal doray and has a 75% success rate but it can be within the decade before its in the public. They have to test them out really well and follow for long term effects.  So in that realm be patient. It is more out there now so hopefully these scientist can figure out ways to help us. The issue is if it cored in the mind itself theres no way to tangibly scan that. They do know now its more then one issue. Amyglada and LT involved making it more complicated. You cant acceot reassurance because our brains are in negative gear basically. Mal function going on. Maybe science needs to focus on making a happy pill lol. If they cant rid this anxiety process maybe they can make a happy pill of some sorts. A safe one. You let down no one but yourself. We dont want this.  Headaches hurt! I dont  think your obseesed with them, you get them and they hurt a lot. I believe you would believe the reassurance if it controlled the headaches and symptoms. Whilst in pain its hard to be like oh great im better, even though i feel like crap..oh okay thanks. How can it work like that? 
    • Posted

I have had 2 lots of CBT one paid for the other free.  The problem I find is if I am not Ill whilst doing it doesn't work.  If your not in pain and not worried you are going to be positive.  I have worked hard to overcome my fears.  I know if 1000 people have a headache only one will have a brain tumour unfortunately I am that one.  I have  been like this for years.  I can see why my doctor doesn't want to send me for expensive tests.  When I come out of the surgery I feel reassured but then the cracks begin to show and eventually I am back to square one.   
  • Posted

Hi, have you been speaking with a therapist through this? I know you mentioned CBT but it usually doesn't just work, I've been using it for years and sometimes it doesn't always work for my anxiety so I have to put more effort into it. Have they run tests on the thing(s) you're worried about? If they have and it's all good, then there's not really much doctors can do. Sure they could prescribe meds for your anxiety but it's really just a bandaid, you're going to have to overcome your anxiety mentally.
  • Posted

Hi phoebe , I'm sorry you are going through this , it does suck,,, I'm going through the same thing ive been dealing with these headaches off and on , and other weird head sensations .
    • Posted

It's ok when people say distract yourself but it is easier said than done.   I wake up in pain and go to bed with it.  It's really getting me down
    • Posted

Yes trust me I've been dealing with this for quite a while now and I've believed to have try everything possible to avoid feeling like this. And sometimes it works when you not thinking about it , its true you don't feel much of anything , but the second you start to realize you may feel a little normal , anxiety reminds you that its still around which is the horrible.part
    • Posted

It feels like your in a tunnel but there is no end to it.   I think a lot of people just don't understand and that isn't a criticism.  It's always the worse case scenario.   
    • Posted

That's exactly how I feel , and no omecrealky understands unless they have been through it themselves
  • Posted

That's exactly how I feel , and no one really understands unless they have been through it themselves
    • Posted

I sometimes think people feel we are attention seekers.  I would love to talk to some junior doctors and explain how awful we feel.  People on drugs and alcohol seemed to get noticed but not us.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.