Health anxiety help!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi guys.. Ive just got this burning desire to get out and get support. I suffer from servere health anxiety... Every little pain, I fear Im dying of the worst! The last few weeks its been about pulmonary embolism... Because of chronic chest pain and calf pain and 100 other symptoms.... Been to the er 30 times this year... So much that docs don't believe me anymore. And the worst feeling is.... What IF next time.... It is an emergency and they don't help me!! Is there anyone else experiencing this?? Or have any coping skills to get through this life thats supposed to be so precious. Im just sooo tired... Tired of being tired and in pain. My brain is exhausted and being a mother and a wife.... Im missing tge beautiful things in life.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I honestly don't knowany people on this forum who aren't or haven't been through this. I had severe health anxiety for about two years. Convinced it was my heart, then tongue cancer, then skin scanner and so on. After 2 years of varying pain and symptoms and worry and referrals and tests, I tried a different approach. I accepted.

I accepted that it was all down to my anxiety. I accepted that the what ifs COULD happen, that chance is always there but the dr's aren't trying to fob me off or missing anything, they're just doing their jobs and the tests weren't lying. I just wasn't believing them.

I accepted that the pain and symptoms weren't going to magically disappear over night. I went back to therapy. I practiced the techniques. I failed alot, and accepted that was ok. I stopped reading about my symptoms and googling what they COULD be. I stopped checking my HR on my Fitbit every day. I switched to a better medication. And I read self help books. It's not easy but the symptoms are no where near as severe as they were. I went a month without seeing my Dr and she congratulated me! I'm not obsessing on my health as much mow. Syillyajve mixed anxiety and depressive disorder but it's more manageable now.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply and whats worked for you! Thats exactly what I need to do... And start thinking positive. Im really thinking about trying CBT. Im too scared to try medication. I'll stop googling and get some books! Lol... Yea I get "the" look when I see my doc every week.... He would probably do the same with me!!! I wish I could go a month without seeing a doc!

• Posted

Hi there Christine 

I am really feeling  for you reading you post..

Ive said this loads and I’ll say it again! anxiety can be so cruel and has so many symptoms!!

i have Heart   paplutations to the point I can feel my clothes or pillow right through them!

my eyes flicker I sweat . I fear bad things are going to happen all the time!!

wake up every day like this!. It can come on at any point in the day or night. Panic attacks affect my breathing too....

As you’ve said you are a mother and life is precious. Can I ask have you been or are you being treated for anxiety? If not you may consider anxiety medication it’s a personal choice.

Always if you are in doubt about your  symptoms  go to the dr, but if they have said it’s  anxiety try to take a little solace from that. I know it’s not much but if you deal with the anxiety with meds meditatin breathing out longer than in then the symptoms may subside.

I really hope you can get some pace with this!

its very cruel anxiety so many symptoms and all at once too!

if you would like feel free to pm me

take care 

Vicky x

• Posted

Hi Vicky! Thank you so much for your reply! Yea its a terrible vicious cycle that's so hard to break. I've been to the ER about 30 times and the past year and see my regular doctor almost every week it's to the point to where he mocks me and laughs at me a little bit for me to keep coming in. I'm pretty upfront with my doctor though and he knows that I know that I'm a hypochondriac but it's just all in the fear of death and leaving my daughter Alone with nobody. I am not taking anything for it I'm kind of scared too. But I am seriously thinking about trying CBT therapy and checking out some self-help help books. It sounds like you go through alot of what I do to. Heart palpitations are the worst!! Im always checking my pulse. Yea I'd like to pm you.... I have no one to talk too... And it eats me alive sometimes!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.