Health anxiety... HELP

Posted , 5 users are following.

If anyone reading this can relate please write to me. Okay so I've recently been diagnosed as having health anxiety. It all started with horrendous palpitations. Which led me to A&E convinced I was having a heart attack. I was reassured I was not And was fine for a few days. Then I was sure I had a blood clot, reassured, fine for a few days,,, then I found a lump, then I had a numb patch if skin, all been reassured all okay. Then they discovered my health anxiety! I'm now getting on my left tingly fingers, heavy arm and today I couldn't grasp my fork. I'm now having the worst panic attack of my life (heart palpitations, petrified, crying, feel sick) is what I experienced prior to me having this panic attack a lead up to this attack and just another symptom of anxiety or would you say to see my GP? Thanks 

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

This is exactly what anxiety attacks can do to you my friend.

Just pop down to your doctor and relate all the symptoms as you have here and I'm fairly certain you will get some help/ advice or both.

• Posted

Thank you for replying! My left arm feels heavy and useless :.( have you experienced similar symptoms like this due to anxiety? It seems unlogical to me they this would by associated to anxiety (guess that's my anxiety talking there?)
    • Posted

Because anxiety attacks emanate from the brain, and the brain controls everything in your body then just about any part of your body can be affected by actual aches and pains, numbness and pins and needles.

In certain circumstances when the the brain becomes overloaded by activity all over the body people have been known to pass-out.

So, as I said before you have classic anxiety symptoms, and you do need to see your doctor about it.

• Posted

Hi jods54 all your symptoms are anxiety related I get them all,sometimes I struggle picking up a pan my muscles are that weak,go see ure gp and explain x
  • Posted

hey I understand completely what you're going through cos I am the same! It started off with severe headaches and tinnitus in my case, and led to many things afterwards. Even now I have constant ringing in my ears, went to the doctors' and ENT to be told basically nothing is wrong.  What I would do is first, try to persuade your mind that what you are experiencing is anxiety (which is really hard, I know). Then do sth. you enjoy, like listening to music, doing sport or going for a walk... I find that this helps a lot! Finally, try finding the cause of your anxiety (i.e. in my case, my Final year at University). Hope this helps, good luck! xx
    • Posted

My doctor arranged for me to have CBT but I was getting stressed about going and feeling better overall. So I cancelled the classes,  now it's back worse than before. It's so hard rationalising myself. Thank you for replying     Xx
    • Posted

That is another problem with your condition - it leads us to over-confidence when all of a sudden we feel fine when in reality we are far from it.

My advice would be to take whatever help you can, as this sort of problem seldom goes away completely on it's own.

• Posted

archmedes is right, therapy is also a good way to cope. I remember having the same problem, feeling better overall but then having worse panic attacks.
  • Posted

Hi Jods chose are classic anxiety symptoms but you do need to see your GP for reassurance and treatment. I have health anxiety too but unlike you I can't go near a doctor as its one of my phobias. At least you can. Good luck.
    • Posted

My doctor arranged for me to have CBT but I was getting stressed about going and feeling better overall. So I cancelled the classes but therapist said I can rebook if I visit my gp. Thank you for replying    , hope you're doing okay.
    • Posted

Hi Jods. Not going well at the minute to be honest. I've been accepted for face to face CBT counselling. I'm just waiting to hear when my first appt is. Need to work in getting me to a GP as my priority. Ring and get yourself back on it. Anything is worth a try with this rotten condition.
  • Posted

Thank you to you all. I'm so relieved to hear others know exactly what I'm talking about, and can relate. My brain wouldn't accept that it was anxiety doing this to me.im determined to overcome this and get myself back on track. I will be going to the GP, and I have taken everything you have all said on board. Thanks again. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.