Health anxiety! Help please

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone, I need some advice! I suffer from

severe health anxiety, every pain or discomfort I feel sends me spiraling down thinking I have a terminal disease. This is really ruining my life, I am

currently on 50mg of Sertraline and .5 of Clonazepam. Has anyone experience this?

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Yes I suffer with it also. They put me on sertraline but it made me worse so had to come off it. Wont touch a other drug now ever. It's definitely debilitating when am going through it. I had it under control for about year but still had bad days. Just had baby boy 6 weeks ago through c section so my anxiety is back up again. Just got to keep busy. I love YouTube for self relaxation videos or white noise anything to distract the mind as anxiety is so physical as well as emotional so it does cause so many symptoms in the body. But longer you manage to stay calm the more the body has time to relax and these symptoms do go eventually.. hope you feel better I know what it's like and it's horrendous.

• Posted

Thanks for taking the time to respond. It is definitely horrible. The physical symptoms are no joke. I am staying on Sertraline because I have seen a tiny bit of improvement and people do say that it takes time for it to work. Hopefully it gets better for both of us. Congrats on your baby boy. GOD BLESS!!!

• Posted

I hear you. I also suffer from extreme health anxiety, it is hell. I am OK some days but like you as soon as I feel a pain or any sort of discomfort in my body I think I have cancer, I Google my symptoms straight away and cancer always appears. I am obsessed, but just can't help myself. I always focus on the cancer thing. I suffer with twitching all over my body and googled it and I now think I have a neurological illness, my limbs constantly ache and I think I have muscle weakness, but I don't know whether I am imagining that because I'm worried, but I am definitely not as strong as I use to be, but that could be an age thing as I am 50 and think I may be going through menopause. I am constantly at doctors and had various bloods and x rays but nothing has shown up, it reassures me for a while until I feel another pain, then the cycle starts again. I also worry about dementia as my memory is terrible. Xx

• Posted

You are describing me to a t! Cancer in on my mind 24/7 and it has affected my daily life and my relationships with my family. I have blood work done but haven't had any xrays done. I will be going to the Dr on Tuesday because now I am suffering with abdominal cramps and it is making me crazy. Have you visited any psychologist or psychiatrist?

• Posted

I have seen numerous counsellors but none of them have been able to help me, I have also had cbt, again no good. I have always been a worrier but it has got worse the older I have got. Maybe because you get more aches and pains as you get older. But as soon as I get a new ache or pain I fear the worse. Like you it has caused problems in my family because they just don't understand and they tell me not to be stupid and get short with me or find it funny. It definitely is not a laughing matter to me. I would describe it as hell on earth xx

• Posted

I completely understand. My family just says that I don't want to change and that I don't put any effort to get better. It kills me that they don't understand but it is what it is. I am currently taking Zoloft and Clonazepam to help with my anxiety and I'm also seeing a psychologist. I will keep you updated on my journey!

• Posted

Hi

Yes please do, I hope you find some relief from this horrible illness. Take care xx

• Posted

GIRL I suffer from health anxiety as well! It all started when i started having gallbladder attacks. I though i was having a heart attack. MOVING forward, ive had my gallbladder removed but my anxiety is back and at an all time high. Every little pain or gas bubble or jerk in my body puts me back into panic.

• Posted

I am so sorry, this is just awful and few people understand. Have you seen a psychiatrist and/or psychologist? I am taking Sertraline and Clonazepam to

help with my anxiety but I still

have very bad days and it is just the worst!

• Posted

me!!! honestly its the worse. ive had it since i was 7...its taking over my life on many occasions. going back into therapy as i need help with it now. cancer is my biggest fear and im alway googling if i have a problem and its always the first thing up there. im learning to not turn to dr google! it doesnt help it just makes matters worse. My GP told me google is aimed at those who pay health insurance and its a way of scaring them hence why cancer is the first thing that pops up! so they go to their doctor...how true this is i dont know but either way it doesnt help. he told me to avoid and only confide in a professional. with me its a new thing every other day...but recently ive been thinking ive got either mouth or throat cancer! i cant shift it. im having so many symptoms its really getting me down. if anyone needs extra support im on a facebook group called health anxiety support....it really helps to chat to others experiencing the same issues..and eases you when you realise your not alone in this. stay strong!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.