Health anxiety in overdrive

Posted , 3 users are following.

Bad HA at the moment.  Got headaches so believe it's a tumour.  Been on Google lethal and even paid to speak to a foreign doctor.  Logic has gone completely out of the window.  Do you think nowadays we no too much.  Years ago I never questioned a diagnosis and we never had Dr Google

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

I've been doing the same which I think has fuelled my own anxiety, any symptoms you have could match a 100 real nasty illnesses on google and your body and mind can mimic other symptoms you see on the Internet so I think where anxiety is concerned it's best not to investigate to much which I know is easier said than done sad
    • Posted

I agree but sometimes we don't seem able to stop ourselves
  • Posted

do yourself a favour and rest from the medical advice pages if it makes you feel worse. Anxiety can breed anxiety if you know what I mean.
    • Posted

Stop. People get headaches. If it continues get it checked by GP. Probably getting worked up isn't helping your BP. Its anxiety
  • Posted

Dr google is a nightmare. Its not even right most of the time. It gives vague standard symptoms which can apply to anything. Then it gives the "prudent" care version of life. Its almost useless but it definetly can make someone very very nervous. I agree with you on the too much information overall. When i was young it was not "be your own doctor" or "take your medical care into your own hands" it ruined the whole field. It makes it very hard to trust doctors or pharmaceuticals now. The leaflets on all meds contains way too much info lbecause they are so scared to be sued this way they can blame you for taking it after they told you every possible scenario that can occur known to mankind.
    • Posted

I agree a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.  It is too easy to go on your I pad and look up your symptoms.   It must be a nightmare for our doctors.
    • Posted

I miss the days of just going and they figure it out and hand you the medicine and you went home positively sure you'd be fine in a week. Right? I never doubted a thing ever. I was also young and didnt think abiut anything to do with health or things that can wrong, but still it was a simplier time. All we had was one little  medical book called merck manual and it wasnt written for the average person. And meds didnt have one year experation dates which we all know is bogus.
    • Posted

We either went to the library or a bookshop to look up illnesses.  Our parents trusted doctors implicitly.   If he said jump up and down 3 times they would have done it.  Now we no all the signs and sympoms before we go in.   
    • Posted

Im starting to feel like im better off without anymore knowledge with all this. Sometimes i read other peoples stuff, and i only want to help, but then i feel the symptoms too. We are like sponges but negative sponges haha. 
    • Posted

maybe our happiness centers are broken. Lol
    • Posted

Mine is turned off.  It is nice to find you are not on your own.  
  • Posted

Headaches hurt. The brain has no feelings of pain in itself. Its muscles and nerves that cause the headaches. Inflammation. I dont think your logic has gone out the window by the way. You want answers already. Who doesnt. They dont have them yet. Its all self preservation but gone too far because if there arent answers and you keep the search going so intensly it becomes massively overwhelming and exhausting. That would give anyone a headache haha. Its mixed in with ocd. But logically we have all been made to believe it is possible to be your doctor, fantasizing like the medical shows so falsly provide. Dr. Google at our fingertips although i never use dr. Google i dont search for the answers that i know they do not have yet. I do read google scholar haha on medical breakthroughs and such. Anyway..That one missing link and damn if your not gonna find it. So i dont think HA belongs to a person in pain, in discomfort, or with ailments already. Its not where you feel great and are like hmmmm what disease might i have. I dont think thats  how this all works and if it does then you dont have HA. You have i need answers already anxiety. Frustrated and overwhelmed. You want to feel good. And if it is a mental illness you still want answers in how to fix it. We all want to fix this. Accepting it as a mal function, accepting the fear and accepting we have a disorder with anxiety is a must here. And you seem to know it. But you want the pain to stop. I think that makes sense. They give out these damn labels that are stigmatized and mocked. And those who are god gifted with not having this can not relate at all. Lucky them. The correct answer by the world should be...im so sorry you are going thru this, whatever has happened within you has effected your mind in a way that feel very overwhelming and of course it would not having a cure or a fix would make a person feel as you do. All we know is it has to be managed so that you can live a functional life and find moments of happiness. We dont have all the answers yet.  Thats what they need to say to every person they see. Its called compassion! Then hand you leaflets on the whole mental health field and hope they can figure something out to bring you some peace of mind. For now till someone figures this all out.  We live in desensitized world where everyone is stressed and no one has time or energy for those who are anxious filled and scared all the time. That would be their worst fear so they stigmatize those with it, or mock it in ignorance.  Maybe this didnt exist in epidemics before because the world was simplier, real foods, real people living from day to day putting their family and their live first. Maybe. 
    • Posted

Yes. The internet has done wonderful things but it has destroyed many things too. So has the media or the lack of control it has... We are animals, humans thats all we are. I am thrilled im not young anymore. Funny too ..the very rich, inspirational soeakers, monks..anyone who can nicely calm themselves..they move to beautiful nature filled areas. Reverse of decades ago. They return to nature, the calmness. It exists. Maybe we all take on to much of what we see, what we hear, the negative aspects and all the hyoe..we are sensitive people.  We dont need to mind everyones buisness every second of the day. The internet and the media push that on us constantly. Its not wanting to be ignorant its that we are human beings, animals with a higher level of thinking. We need down time.
    • Posted

It's like always being in the fast lane.  We have all these labour saving gadgets but we don't appear to have any more leisure time.  We need to get back to basics.  I hate questioning my doctor but if it was any other profession I would do it.  It is my body and I need to know why certain things are happening.  I don't think that is unreasonable.  Most of the doctors I have seen are great and show a lot of empathy.  A couple have been rude so I won't see them again.  I work in a hospital setting and I can't be rude to my patients.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.