Health Anxiety is overwhelming me...

Posted , 5 users are following.

I found a palpable lymph node in my neck a year ago and ever since then I've been living in terrible fear. After seeing 5 different doctors and getting the same response "it's just a lymph node, don't worry" I'm consumed with researching on my own (bad idea) I touch the area about 100 times per day to check whether it's smaller or bigger (never changes) which I believe makes it sore after awhile which only makes my worrying worse. I'm so glad I found this group. I need support. 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Sounds like you have an obsession, I used to check my blood pressure 4 or 5 times a day, by doing so my BP kept rising because I was anticipating the reading. My doctor told me he had a patient that did the same thing, the patient had a stroke, and died.

Many of these anxiety problems are based on conditioning which can be controlled, We all have different ways, but the most important is knowing that they can be altered by reconditioning yourself. I do it by thinking positive, no matter what, and working out which is a blessing that many do not relaize, it's really something how physical activity releases tension, all it takes is just doing it, no excuses.

• Posted

Lol, I'm glad you feel relived threw this blog. I find comfort as well what you feel is real but be confident your fine. Good luck.
  • Posted

I have an enlarged lymph node in my neck which i found about a month or so ago. I same touch it 100 times a day to see if it's getting smaller or bigger. I'm glad to have found this forum!
  • Posted

Dear Rhianna,

Anxiety can make us do all sorts of peculiar things.

If you have seen five doctors I am sure that it is nothing to worry about, but that is easily said by someone else.

I suffer from anxiety too, it's not nice.  It is typical when you find something on your body to keep thinking about it and touching it.  The worry is awful.

You will get better and after time eventually you will stop thinking about it.

I have had different things that I have been worried about but have got over it.

There is a saying : This too shall pass , hope you feel well soon xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.