Health anxiety is taking over my LIFE!!!

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello I'm new to this. I've noticed that many people are in the same boat as me. I am only 20 years old and I suffer with Health Anxiety (Hypochondria) really badly. I believe it all started when my mum passed away, I am Constantly checking my body for lumps and always think I have a serious illness (usually cancer). These past few weeks I have found a few lumps in my head and my head has become quite sore, I spoke to a doctor on the NHS helpline and he thinks it's cysts, I'm over thinking though and worried it's something a lot more serious like a brain tumour or leukaemia.. Could anyone help or does anyone understand what I'm going through? I just want someone to tell me that I will be okay, nobody listens to me and I get called an "attention seeker" but anyone who suffers from HA will know that attention seeking is the last thing we think of doing.... 😞😞

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

It's alright, you are not being attention seeking so don't feel guilty! This type of anxiety can be hard to deal with but remember that your 20 (around my age) and it is VERY unlikely that any types of cancers are developing. If it makes you feel more at ease than definitely get what you find checked by a doctor. But also remember that anxiety can be powerful and create symptoms as well, I've been through that part before smile don't worry!
  • Posted

Hi! I know what you're going through. I'm only 19 and I have extremely bad health anxiety which came from a health scare (which was actually nothing but a doctor's mistake) and everytime I feel such scary symptoms such as chest pain, fatigue, headaches, etc, I immediately think I'm gonna die or that I have some disease. Anxiety symptoms are very real but they can't hurt us, we have to tell ourselves that.
  • Posted

Hello abi.xo

Don't be affected by those who call you "attention seeker" they have no idea what people with health anxiety are going through. Just ignore them and focus on the more important thing which is basically your health.

I think it's vital to have your head checked first just to be certain about its condition. If they found nothing wrong with it and the anxiety don't subside I suggest you start talking with your psychologist. Don't worry too much, you're going to be okay. Again don't listen to those who mock you for what you have. They are ignorants who have no idea what you're going through. Keep fighting and let me know how the checkup goes. Good luck.

• Posted

Do not listen at all to anyone who calls you an attention seeker, that is rude in itself. You have legitimate questions. And health anxiety is a curse and torturous so lucky them they cant releate. You should have the lumps,or cysts examined. A dermatologist can do this and remive them if they scare you. So sorry about your mum hopefully she is keeping an eye on you and is gaurding over you. You do not have the symptoms of brain tumor or leukemia from little lumps on your scalp so you can dismiss that thougt. It can even be scalp acne by the way. These life threatning ailment usually smack a person from lrft field and its never what youd think or know to even worry about. You are young and strong so if thise lumps bug you of course you should check it out. You can get a buzz cut as well this way your scalp airs itself out and less debris or grease will build up on your scalp and youd be anle to see the lumps better as so will your dermatologist.
  • Posted

I am the same way and attention is the last thing on my mind to. My mother passed away from a brain tumor and I constantly thinking I have one
  • Posted

Hello luv, I'm exactly the same luv, 

Its ruining my life :-( I got 2boys n can't b bothered to anything at all, I'm scared of everything 

Come on luv we can do this, some days I just  wanna lock myself away as its that bad :-( 

I always think I got summit, if I ave headache I got brain tumour :-( 

Lumps, pains etc

You not alone luv n try 2think positive things luv x

• Posted

Yes like tonight is kinda bad I am beginning to think the trouble I been having with my eyes is from my muscles in my face being tight all the time
  • Posted

Hey. I do know what you're going through. I was the same way up until about a week ago. For over a year I had weird new headaches and felt funny. I always had anxiety problems but after I gave birth to my daughter, I started having health anxiety in fear I wouldn't be around to enjoy everything and watch her grow up. But what started it for me is when one day I actually googled my headache pain because it was new to me and it was so odd I didn't know what was causing it. The first thing that popped up was brian tumor and cance . I flip out and was so scared. I ended up going to my doctor many times and I felt like he wrote me off has having chronic sinusitis and allergies problems, and that didn't help my anxiety at all. Finally I had enough because no matter how much meds I was on nothing helped me feel better so I drove myself to the ER. The provider who saw me, I told her what was going on and she said I'm waiting a CT SCAN of your head now we might be dealing with a brian tumor but I want to make sure we rule that out if it isn't. So mins later I had lab and a CT scan done and each time the nurse came in to check on me and she noticed I was scared because I was thinking my worse fear is coming true and what will happen to my baby and all that... a couple mins later she's back and said everything is looking great and no tumor or anything! I was so happy and I couldn't believe I feared this for over a year and a half! If you need to, go get checked out at the hospital. I don't regret it at all because I ended up being told I had the early stages of Bells Palsy. If it wasn't for going, I could of woke up the next day looking as If I had a stroke.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.