Health anxiety - my story so far

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi

My name is James Khan. I'm 21 years old and a Muslim (it'll be relevant later) male. In February 2017 they said I had a UTI. I didn't have sex so it was quite worrying for me. This is how a infection led me to having health anxiety. I rarely see any anxiety 'success' stories or anything positive. So here goes, I would not say I am 100% recovered but I'm 90% there.

I have only been hospital once because of testicle pain which was a minor issue. Then one day I woke up with testicle pain and I thought it would go on it's own after taking medicine, a day later it was still there so that night I went to hospital and they said I have UTI. I didn't know what it was and this led me to googling loads of stuff about it and reading forums. The worst thing was that my relative passed away a day before I had this infection because of kidney problems. He has TB. So I kept googling and I seen uti linked with kidney this is when I kept on googling and thought the worst. I was so upset because I kept getting pains, which is where my mind created it all. I also had constipation from the antibiotics. I thought it was something small and it would go. 2 months later I still have a weak digestive system and still either constipated or got diahrrea. Then I started getting pains on my body and kept getting headaches I immediately thought the worst. Only one thing happening; death. I thought my life is ruined I can't do anything because I'll be dead in a few months. It led me googling more and more. To a point where I was spending 3 hours a day googling it. Then I went doctors and they prescribed me atarax. Which is an anxiety medicine. My parents told me to have it but I stopped after a while. The reason was because I didn't want to rely on medicine to make me better and that's my own opinion and I would suggest you don't use medicine and go for a natural method. For me, because I am Muslim I began to pray 5 times a day well tried. But it calmed me, more than medicine. At night I would take milk and honey instead of atarax because I woke up in sweat with that medicine whilst this calmed me down. Just remember THERES ALWAYS GOING TO BE GOOD DAYS AND BAD DAYS, ITLL GET WORSE BEFORE IT GETS BETTER. So a few weeks later I kept feeling more upset my 21st birthday coming up and I am thinking will I even see it. When it arrived I had family over and for the first day since my uti I did not google anything all day. I was shocked. Even now I google the odd symptom. This is what you have to do, keep yourself busy.

Here's a few things that can help with anxiety that help me:

Exercise

Reading

Watching your favourite tv shows

Spending time with family

Praying

Eating healthy

Cupping

Music - listen to weightless Marconi union

The list goes on. There's so many things you can do. Forget about the future enjoy life now, whether you're 21 or 76 life doesn't wait for no one. Just say you spend all your life worrying and you live 20 years what can you say you did? Worried for 20 years to be here. enjoy life !!

So after my birthday I started getting new pains in my stomach and I went to A&E, I would say before this infection I went doctors 4 times and a&e once and by April I've been doctors 25 times and A&E 9 times. I wish I was exaggerating. I was scared for my life. I thought I wouldn't be able to have kids. I went once because I had pain in my stomach turns out to be constipation I felt so embarrassed. But do you know what. If you are worried talk to your loved ones, your friends and families. Those you feel confident in telling. I have friends that are so close to me but I haven't told them and then I have some who I hardly talk to and I told them. Don't let it eat you. Go swimming it helps also. Oh yeah I forgot to mention I had two panic attacks where I thought I was a blood infection because my jaw started swelling and I thought my hands were swelling. Believe me it teaches you a lesson to forgive everyone and that health is wealth! However look 2 months later I'm still here. Enjoy life. It may be scary but two days are not the same. I know you may google symptoms but just remember you could have the same problem but would have different pain!! And whilst you're concerned about that person pain it will occur to you too.

Today I went doctors because I booked one three weeks ago. I still get pain but it's getting better. The doctor told me your uti was a maybe. It could of just been because of excersise and all of a sudden my pain went. I realised I've been getting reassurance of other people. Like once I thought i had too many veins I would look at people's hand to see if it was the same and even when I seen symptoms and it said easily bruised I punched myself. Now I think what was I doing. Your mind is so powerful. Stop getting reassurance from others and reassure yourself.

Live love life.

Also if you have anything to ask feel free to message me ! smile

2 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hey I too suffer from anxiety and more mainly health anxiety

BUT i also actually suffer from reaccuring uti's and I feel like if you get them you are prone to keep getting them,

with uti's the infection is in the bladder, causing pain in the genital area but ALSO stomach pain which I get quite regular and many things can irritate it, yes it can lead to kidney problems but not the type you think if untreated it can go to a kidney infection, which is worst but wouldn't cause death it hapened to my mom she left a uti because she wasn't bothered then started experiencing back pain and they said it went into the kidneys, they gave her medication and it cleared up

I get uti's regular like I said and I find that since getting them I will still get that bladder pain every now and then, It causes constipation which also causes stomach pains so its more annoying really!

I still get pain after about 5 years of getting utis but I'm used to that now seriously and you will to

I know its hard to say and listen to because I never take my own advice but google is your WORST enemy, no matter what you put in you will get a bad diagnosis, because of my anxiety I would get pins and needles and a swollen jaw and I googled it knowing it was because of anxiety but then convinced myself I had a really bad illness to the point I was screaming in worry unable to calm down, obviously I was fine but if you look at anxiety physical symptoms they mimic really bad problem

I still get panic attacks because of health worries but I need to learn how to stay off google it will drive you insane!

I always go get myself checked with a doctor though just to have my clearance that I am okay, anxiety medications cause a lot of the symptoms you have said as well especially the night sweats!

Speaking to people really does help including doctors

Hope you overcome this x

• Posted

Hey, thanks for letting me know! Have you tried D-mannose? It may help! Because you shouldn't get used to things especially those that cause you pain. We all have the ability to overcome things!

I agree with you. People think that anxiety is just is in the head and freak out when they get physical symptoms. What have you tried to calm down your anxiety?

Hope you overcome it soon, I believe you will! smile

• Posted

Hey I actually keep medication for my UTI's close, I have reacurring meaning I get full blown UTI's like every 2 weeks ahhhh awful, More common in girls though so I'm unlucky, but the pain I get is barely noticable anymore it doesn't cause me problems and I have many tips to stop UTI's when they can be stopped

I.E. drinking loads of water and never holding a wee in!!!

Yeah that is true, I was in shock when I first found out it causes physical symptoms and they're definitely not in my head they are super real and the aches and pains can be helped with ibuprofen so if it was all in my head surely the ibuprofen wouldn't work, it's a serious pain in the bum to deal with

Well I've never actually found anything to calm me down whilst I'm having a major panic attack and unlike you which you are lucky for it really does effect my daily life, there isn't a day when I don't have anxiety about something, On my worst days there is nothing that can help me until I've been to a doctor and had tests done as concrete proof that there is nothing wrong with me!

After I've had the tests I'm normally okay till the next episode, I let my panic attacks run their course 

I heard that it's genetic, haha THANKS MOM

Hope if i ever have children they don't suffer with it, I'd rather have broken bones than anxiety and depression I think that shows how real it is, I've suffered since I was about 7 though!

I was worst when i was about 14-18 then I could cope with minor attacks but it has started to get back again due to unfortunate circumstances

Thank you! 

We can do this cool

• Posted

Compassionate doctors and people  can aid healing. Finding solace and refuge in a higher source is needed and very helpful always. The opposite of fear would be divine love, faith and hope. So yes whether it is spiritual beliefs or religous it would be very useful. Most everyone with any disorder that strongly effects you have trouble finding solace in their enviornemnt. Good for you, good you found the solace you needed. The mind is extremly powerful. This is also a disorder but the mindset is very much needed to get through it. Self love and faith and hope go a long way with any issues or troubls. We are but mere humans but sometimes our egos get the best of us.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.