Health anxiety or Cancer?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi I am 19 years old and always been a anxious person. I have a major fear of cancer everything I think it's cancer. But since summer my health anxiety been thru the roof. It started when my mother had gotten a new mole so I thought she had skin cancer then doctors told her it was normal, then my right breast hurt so I thought I had breast cancer then that went away. So one day I wake up and my buttocks was sore so I thought I had a tumor in my tailbone then that went away and I started getting lower back pain and thought tumor in my spine and then headaches I thought brain tumor then that went away and then I started getting stomach problems and thought stomach cancer and was diagnosed with gastritis, then sometimes started suffering from constipation and thought colon cancerand that some what went away and now I get aches here and there like sometimes aches in my arms and in my armpit ache in my lower leg aches in my back sometimes and once in a while in my neck. The aches are not constant nor get worse one day I have aches the neck day I'm fine and feel like my old self. All these aches makes me think I have leukemia or lymphoma. I went to the doctors and my blood and urine always comes back normal but I read lymphoma doesn't always show up on blood test. I don't have swallen lymp nodes nor night sweats nor lack of energy nor always tired.I don't know what to do I feel like I'm dying. Can someone help?😔

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Tina

Def sounds like anxiety. When Cancer pops into your head, try and dismiss it straight away.  Theres nothing wrong with being worried about your health but try not to fixate on it. I have anxiety but mine comes in the form of thinking I've done something wrong, every time my phone goes I think its bad news. So ive changed my ringtone to something funny to take my mind of it.  take care. x

• Posted

Thanks for your reply, do you also get random twitches in your body?
    • Posted

Yes, mainly in the evening when i'm trying to relax. My whole body jolts and it scares me, then it takes me ages to settle down again. It sometimes makes my heart race and some chest pain but its nothing to worry about. Apparently its just your muscles calming down. x
  • Posted

It's anxiety, I have health anxiety to and understand what you are gong through, I've been taking cipralex at a very low dose for the past 3 weeks and can honestly say it's helping, was so reluctant to take them because I am sensitive to them and have side effects fort the 1st week or so, yesterday was the 1st time I've been out of the house in 2 months because it's my safe place, so glad I picked up the courage to take them, I've started to get my life back, hooe you feel better soon, anxiety is he horrible it takes control of your life x
    • Posted

I had a problem getting out of the house because like you its my safe place. This might sound a bit odd but it worked for me.  Someone suggested if I was in the house and had a small amount of rubbish to go out and find the nearest bin to put it in, then the next time take a different/longer route. I only done it once the first week but I'm not bothered about going out at all.  If your going out make sure theres a purpose to it. I'm also on tablets (citalorpam) which took about 3 weeks to kick in but they have sort of "leveled" me out. Do you live on your own? X
    • Posted

Hi there, no I live with my husband but he works away from Monday to Friday, I went out with him yesterday to run a few errands and again this morning, next step is to try and go out alone x
    • Posted

You can do it !!! It takes time but you will get there. Can I ask how your anxiety started. If you dont want to say thats ok. I understand it can be difficult to talk about. X
    • Posted

I've always had anxiety on and off since my early twenties, but 10 years ago I lost my mom and dad within 6 months of each other, that made it really bad, panic attacks agoraphobia the lot, i was really ill with it, had cipralex back then after trying many anti depressants and they worked, stupidly I stopped taking them because I thought I was better, I've managed to tick along without meds for a few years, last May it came back with a vengeance and I've been really bad over the past 2 months, but I'm 53 and have been told that menopause makes anxiety worse so that's what I think has triggered it this time X
  • Posted

I would recommend to ease your anxiety to see you doctor for yearly tests. This way you can rule that out, and tell and reaffirm yourself that is just your health anxiety. Good luck
  • Posted

It also sounds you feel too comfortable in your house.  It is the best thing to fell feel comfortable in your house.  But it in my opinion unhealthy to fear going out.  Just  go out on your own in small doses, and when you do so remind yourself or keep a logbook of your couragous battles with you anxiety.  For us with anxiety it is a constant battle of not letting the anxiety rule us.
  • Posted

Tina, proof that you are ok is written all throughout your post. The pain comes in one place and goes away in that place. That is a normal human body. Great news Tina! There is something called "fibromyalgia" which is just random moving pains throughout muscles in your body. It is nothing more than that. It's not dangerous, it's not to be alarming. It's to be laughed at as a nuisance. I say that so if that is your situation you will not become anxious. I now laugh at all of my "silly" pains that come and go. It keeps my anxiety away over them. Take control of your anxiety and stop letting it take control of you. Laugh at it, sounds dumb, but when you do, your mind realizes you are the boss of it and you are in control. Now go BEAT this thing!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.