Health anxiety or perimenopause

Posted , 9 users are following.

I haven't been on this forum very long but I realised how many ladies like me have developed a health anxiety. I'm nearly 40 and this crept up on me not that long ago. I was suffering from hip pain, night sweats, face flushes, mood dips and cold feet not to mention struggling to lose weight. My periods range from 28 to 33 days and last around 7 days with 1 day of heavier bleeding so I didn't think that these changes were happening. Anyway, so when I changed from a confident woman to a wreck overnight I realised this could be just another symptom of peri. I am amazed at how many of us have this, I was wondering if this was something that happened overnight to you??

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi NIC, I remember having a panic attack 3 years ago and that was the true start for me though I had a bit of health anxiety and symptoms before....its been rough but period is overdue this month, been every 3 weeks for a long time and coming up to 5 weeks now....xxx
  • Posted

Hi Nic

All things started for me gradually about 6 years ago when I was 40. Looking back now it was insomnia,headaches and panic attacks. The panic attacks weren't as bad as they have been recently.

Since Christmas I've changed into a different woman,not the sociable,cheerful person I was.

I've had severe pressure headaches every day for 3 months,depression,doom and gloom and panic. I wondered what the hell was happening to me. I've got bad acid reflux which I never had,burning mouth syndrome,burning nose. Insomnia badly,about an hour sleep a night .

In saying this I started HRT patches 3 weeks ago so hopefully things will start to improve. The depression and anxiety has a bit. Hang in there x

• Posted

Yep, the same thing happened to me nic.

I used to be a string confident woman, now I feel so anxious and needy, always looking for reassurance

I've had a lot of other stressors to contend with thus past couple of years, had to resign from my job as ME symptoms returned then my mum became ill and sadly passed away in January this year

I think if your stressed out already your menopause symptoms can be extreme

Hopefully we'll start to feel better soon

Take care xx

• Posted

Looking back now, I had hot flashes for a while but nothing else so didn't think much of it.  Then one day when driving home from visiting a sick family member in the hospital I had a panick attack, never had anything at all like anxiety before.  Had that once or twice again over a couple of months, then about a month after starting a new job (left a busy/horrific place for a much happier/easier job, so thought nothing of it again) I started having palpitations and vertigo (literally fell over a couple of times), but docs said nothing wrong with me.  That caused some extreme anxiety as there was definitely and suddenly something "not right" with me and my GP couldn't find anything (after a LOT of test, all she could say was I was deficient in vitamin D and had anxiety and gave me a rx for xanax).  I went to a cardiologist on my own who confirmed I had a atrial tachycardia (fast heart beat from an unusual location in the heart, which caused palpitations and flip-flop feeling, but supposedly not life threatening).  So it sure came on quick/sudden to me, and now I'm a totally different person than I used to be.  I know I'm in peri (even though hormone tests come back negative) but still having some tests done to see if there is any other auto-immune or other inflammatory codition going on causing the joint pain and other symptoms that persist.  Feels like my whole life is now worrying about my health and trying go just manage to feel "normal" once in a while smile
  • Posted

Hi. for me it was also an overnight thing. I had to find out for myself what it was because no docter wanted to believe me, I just turned 40. They still doesn't, 3 years later, all I hear is, you are to young. I have most of the symptomes, but the worst is my anxiety, I have a lot of negative thoughts, especially just before my period. 

I hope you all have a lovely day.

• Posted

Dear Nic

It first started for me when periods went haywire, I thought then it must be serious and then the gastitis I thought was stomach cancer, the migraine auras a brain tumour and a spot, skin cancer, one thing after another! I have always been a worrier but not on this scale and I hate the anxiety and panic attacks x

• Posted

Hi

It's awful isn't it? Some days logic kicks in and there's some relief but when that anxiety creeps in its terrible. I've done exactly the same, every symptom I have is the most deadly symptoms and it's not a nice way to live. I'm just hoping there's some relief after this stage is over.

• Posted

What were your headaches like ? I've had pressure headaches every day for 4 months. No relief. Also acid reflux which goes right up to my nose. Did you have the reflux bad that your chest was tight ?
    • Posted

I didnt have headaches really just the auras with occasional eye pain but the auras were new to me and scary. The reflux yes did cause a tight chest, almost makes you feel breathless. Another symptom was nausea and pain and burning in upper left area under ribs, plus heartburn x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.