Health anxiety or something more serious

Posted , 5 users are following.

hi, i suffer with GAD,health anxiety, PTSD and depression

for the past 5 weeks i have had dizziness and the doctors said it was vertigo, i have since been treated for that but the dizziness and falling sensation hasnt gone away, 2 weeks ago i went to the hospital thinking it was my heart, they did an ECG,chest x-ray and 5 different blood tests including one for my heart, everything came back normal but i cant stop worrying its my heart! the doctor is sending me for a MRI just to put my mind at rest

everyday i have aches/pains in both my arms and chest its so scary and i dont know what to do anymore

please can someone try and help? or explain?

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

hello sarah i am not much help but ive been feeling dizzy and the falling sensation and constant motion since january and i am still not at the bottom of it its exhausting and takes over my life 😦

• Posted

oh wow really? i was told its vertigo but now they are saying its anxiety, its so hard to explain this symptom because no one understands!

it can feel like my legs are sinking if that makes sense?

im only a message away if you need to chat x

• Edited

wow!! this has just put my mind at rest so much!! I have had EXACTLY the same!! not even joking, had all the same tests as you etc.. all normal, also told anxiety but I too struggle to believe it's my heart. you may have costochondritis, I've had that mentioned too but anxiety will play a big part.. apparently the mind is powerful enough to create symptoms of something you think is wrong. maybe that's what is happening to us. x

• Posted

wow! really? i thought i was the only one with these feelings! every single day i fear that its my heart 😦 i take 20mg of fluoxetine daily which has helped with the panic attacks thank god!

if you need to message me you can xx

• Edited

I have similar simptoms like you... And much more symptoms .... Heart palpitations, dizziness, chest pain, sharp chest pain, pain in neck, pain in both arms sometimes, whole body weaknes, headache, pressure in head, blurred vision, ringing in both ears, i done all tests. And they said its just anxiety.... And i live with this symptoms for a long time.I think your symptoms are just from anxiety like mine.. I know its scary. I get scared every day. And i get panic attacks a lot... I dont know how to help you... Maybe we should try with some medications? Antidepressants or something like that. And try to think positive and relax but thats very hard when you have these symptoms. And that dizziness that you have i have it 2 years now.... Sometimes it getts better, sometimes it gets worse... But it never goes away. Are you on any medications? Im not for 2 years now.

• Posted

I'm exactly the same as this! it's crazy isnt it.. I've just started sertraline, I'm hoping it works!

• Edited

Yeah... Its very crazy and scary.... Few years ago i would never imagine that ill go thru this..... Im thinking to start with Sertraline too... And Propranolol..... I heard from some people here that propranolol helped them with palpitations and racing heart.... I was on antidepressant called Faverine 2 years ago and it didnt help me. So lets try with sertraline now.. maybe it will get better i hope so....

• Posted

yes give it ago, we are already in a state do nothing to loose. I also have diazepam to take if I have a really bad day.

• Posted

hi, it is the worst feeling in the world! how can you have so many symptoms but yet have nothing wrong? i take 20mg of fluoxetine daily and it has helped with the panic attacks thank god! i was having them all day everyday at one point, i fear all day everyday that its my heart even after seeing many doctors who all say my heart is healthy and so am i!

i hope you get the help you need as i know how horrible this illness is x

• Edited

hi there, I too suffer from anxiety, depression, OCD and even health anxiety (hypochondria). What you're experiencing and feeling sounds exactly what I go through. A combination of anxiety, stress, fear and even depression can cause "physical symptoms" such as dizziness, tightness in the head, face , chest and even headaches. You could even have body aches and muscle pain. Anxiety will mimic certain ailments. The anxiety and stress will also intensify any symptoms you were already having. Trust me on this. I definitely know its easier said than done to try to calm your mind especially when it tries to take you to dark thoughts and automatically thinking its the worst case scenario. Its good that you are getting things checked out just in case. I do exact same thing. There was even times I would wonder what if the results were wrong and wonder if I should get a second and even a third opinion but when things keep coming back normal there's a time or moment you will have that will make you realize "wow, maybe this is all really just really bad anxiety". Anxiety and all the thoughts that go through your head can be scary and lonely but just know it will go away. Also, know you are not alone. Do what you have to do to get yourself that reassurance.

• Posted

love this! I needed to see and read this too!! thank you 😃

• Posted

when i had the tests done it reassured me for a week and now i'm back to feeling like its my heart again! i feel weak and tired, i am scared to move incase my heart rate goes up! it sounds stupid because of course the heart rate goes up throughout the day but i am so scared!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.