Health anxiety over swollen foot thanks to 'helpful' doctor

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi ladies

Reassurance required! I'd been happily taking my HRT for 3 months now and after doing lots of research felt the benefits were far outweighing any risks. However I had to see my doctor to get a repeat prescription this week and she started scaremongering. She wants me to see the nurse for a health check as "HRT can give you strokes and blood clots". I've had a pain in my foot for a few weeks now and it's swollen...this started when I went back to work and started wearing heals again so I just assumed I sprained it and was quite happy with my self diagnosis. But since seeing the GP I now can't get the thought out of my head that its a blood clot!! Please tell me to get over myself 😝

Thanks for reading

Anita x

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Anita,

This is one of those things that would be better off investigated by healthcare professionals to make sure there is nothing wrong with your ankle for certain. While the doctor is correct that there is a remote chance of developing a blood clot or having a stroke, I am shocked she simply didn't send you off for an ultrasound of your leg to make sure all is good. The scan takes roughly 10 mins and will most likely give you peace of mind. 

Wishing you the best,

Annie xx

• Posted

Hi anita, why did your doctor not reassure you? you'd think she would know more than the nurse.  I think she's just taking precautions, I recon it's the high heals that's the problem.  If you had a clot there would be other symptoms.

Try not to worry, listen to me lol, the biggest worrier in the land.

Take care & let us all know how you geet on x

• Posted

Anita: "get over yourself" and meanwhile book an appointment with the nurse biggrin: it can't hurt. Are you on bioidentical HRT? XX
  • Posted

Don't second guess things because that can cause anxieties and panic attacks when you worry about something that the doctor said. She just has to make sure you don't have any blood clots. She did not say it was a blood clot in your foot. Its probably because you are wearing heals and you are not use to wearing heals. 

Don't worry put it in Gods Hands he will heal you 

• Posted

Hiya

Totally agree with Annie: why not send you for a scan? Imagine the Nurse will just um and ah.....then refer you back to the Doc for her to refer you for a scan!!

Scaremongering, yes. But probably valid from both your own and her point of view.

My sister tore a ligament in her calf, but she didn't know that. Her symptoms as a result were a painful, hot, red swelling in her really solid calf. I told her to go see her GP cos I was scarred it was a DVT. Scan told her otherwise, which relieved us both, especially as she is taking HRT......and who knows, I may choose to at some point.

Funny what GPs say sometimes. Even more so what they say, and then don't do! Go see the Nurse........in your ballet pumps!!!:-)

Let us all know how things go, if you're happy to share. Good Luck :-)

Sx

• Posted

Hi Shaznay

To be fair to the Dr I didn't tell her about my foot at the time as it didn't occur to me it may be linked until I was walking home. Very red, puffy and hot today... But then I did walk the dogs for an hour yesterday then come home and do my housework so....

Off to London on the train today and tomorrow so I'll probably be in anxiety overload by Wednesday 😝

Anita x

• Posted

I'm just envious you can walk in heels!!

Good Luck for.....London now rather than the Doc, you brave woman !

From a born n bred Londoner who can't wait to migrate North some time soon!

Sx

• Posted

Try not walking in heals that may be why it is swollen 

take care and have fun in London and forget about your anxieties

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.