Health anxiety over vision, positive afterimages.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi All,

Any help on this would be much appreciated!! i have been suffering with severe health anxiety for the past 8 months and started to focus on my eyes. I first spotted blue field entoptic phenomonen which now doesnt bother me at all and i rarely actually see it anymore. i then started to notice afterimages in my vision a lot which were originally negative afterimages. After reading online i came across palinopsia and started to constantly look for positive afterimages. Of course i then started to see them..!

so my question is, is it normal to see this? its causing very bad anxiety.

many thanks

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

H,I have health anxiety and vision issues also,try and not make it what you focus on,if you have had good eye exams and tests,don't worry. I have many vision symptoms that I've hyper focused on. Even symptoms that may be there are often considered nothing to worry about and if you don't concentrate on them the brain will block them out. Key Is have regular check ups and think about other things. I know its hard,but bet you are fine.

• Posted

thank you so much for this! Its very comforting to know you're not alone with this!

• Posted

You certainly NOT alone with health anxiety. Whatever symptom I have I always think the worst. In the past I have thought I was going blind when I had eye problems, bowel cancer when I had loose stools, cervical cancer when I had vaginal soreness etc. etc. At the moment I have problems with my ears/hearing and I am convinced there is something wrong with my brain even though my MRI scan was normal.

I wish someone could learn me to stop fearing the worst so I could worry less and enjoy life more.

Take care of yourself and remember you are NOT alone.

• Posted

Thank you so much for this reply it honestly does mean so much! To help with the ear problems, i have had this as well and once i stopped thinking about it and focused on something else it went away! However it seems so hard to believe when your hearing isnt great but it does get better!!

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. My hearing problems have been diagnosed as Hypercausis. I cannot have sound generators which might help because I also have some hearing loss. I have been seen by ENT and an Hearing Therapist who seem to think things will gradually improve but will review me in three months. I am trying hard to ignore my symptoms but at the moment I feel like I am going mad. Try not to worry about your eyes and I will try not to worry about my hearing and hopefully given time we will both be fine. Take care.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.