Health anxiety,radiation exposure overdose

Posted , 2 users are following.

hello all

i had ct chest scan recently,my doctor very easily send me to ct because i had blood in my sputum when i cough. ct came back clear.

i did not know anything about radiation exposure ,after i reading on line that i can develop cancer from my exposure to radiation ,i had severe anxiety from now.i can not sleep eat work ,nothing.

i investigated about my dose and am now affraid that i received 3 times more radiation then i should.

from my scan report i calculated dose to 20 msv !

usually people receive 7 msv per exam.

i had chest scan with and without contrast.so i assume this is reason for that high radiation.

pls can anybody help me how to stop thinking about this?

i speak with radiologist and he said that will never hurt me,than i spoke with another radiologist he said me the same.but this is not helped me because i read online that i was received huge dose,that it may harm my sperm,and may harm my dna ,and result in damage in my future kids.

sorry for grammar errors,am under constant stress.

thanks

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

i feel you. I had 3 abdominal ct scans in 4 months and it terrified me about all the radiation. That was 3 years ago and no issues. I have had over 100 MSV in my life for all the CT scans and x-rays and I have has done. Nothing I can do about it but just go on with your life. Try not to worry, though I know that’s very difficult to do, occupy your time qnd your mind so that you don’t dwell on negative thoughts. I would not stress or worry about one test or even a few tests. People that get chemo for cancer undergo a lot of radiation for follow up pet scans and CT scans, so Don’t sweat it

• Posted

thank you clay for support

i know that i can not do nothing about this but this trigger my anxiety,

i spend my days in googling and i know this just fuel my anxiety.

i do not know how to deal with feeling ,they ordered me for nothing,it was unnecessary scan,they told me :"hey young man you are healthy dont worry "

then after this i search about radiation and my life go to hell...

am affraid for my feelings,no desire to eat ,sleep,work,sex, etc ..and most important feeling that i ruined my life,and there is no point to live..

i really fight hard and i will do best for myself to overcome this.

Are you had all this scans due to anxiety,or you had medical condition?

if you received 100msv and live happy,there is no reason for me to do same.

thank you for your supportive thoughts.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.