Health Anxiety Ruining My Life.

Posted , 36 users are following.

Hi guys, very new to this but have read a few threads on here and realise more than a diagnosis it's jus reassurance I need. 

So hi I'm Jess, and I have a very bad case of hyperchondria and cyberchondria ! 

I'm 26 years old and my anxiety is worse than ever. I've always been nervous even as a kid went through stages where I wouldn't leave the house because I was going to get eaten by a dog, struck by lightning etc. All very normal things of course! Haha. 

So about 6 months ago I started working in a doctors surgery as a receptionist. And out of nowhere I began to have these symptoms and feelings that were all very new to me. And over the last few months I've diagnosed myself with more diseases than I've had hot dinners! I'd go to bed at night and my heart would be pounding and racing as if I'd just ran a marathon where infact all I was doing was lying still. I ten began to experience pains in my left arm. Which worried me due to the connection between these 2 symptoms. Then eventually I started having the dreaded chest pains. That's it. I had heart disease and I was going to lose my life to a heart attack. This is when my life really went downhill. So I had reassurance from my dr that it was anxiety. Had a few weeks of cbt. Started to feel better. Then my therapist told me she was happy with the way I'd progressed and referred me back to my gp's care. Since stopping my cbt my symptoms have returned with a vengeance and I keep telling myself 'it can't be a coincidence of course they're back because your no longer have reassurance from a therapist' but it isn't helping. I've recently started having globus symptoms which are driving me crazy in thinking my throat is going to physically close up and that I won't be able to breath. Visited my gp who put it down to my GERD which is linked with my anxiety. I guess all I'm trying to ask is if I'm not the only one in this wicked situation. And is it affecting everyone else lives likes it's affecting and ruining mine. Am I the only one who keeps getting reassurance from therapists and GPs and still believe there's something seriously wrong with me?? Just don't want to do anything anymore. Feel like utter s**t all the time (which really isn't like me at all). Some advice also on whether you think me working in a GP's surgery is somehow affecting my health anxiety would be brilliant. 

Thanks in advance guys xxx

4 likes, 38 replies

38 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Jess, You are not alone. I am 22 male. Started feeling dizzy one day after my first panic attack which I had at 17. And as recently as this summer I had eye inflammation so ofcoirse I go google the causes and google basically told me I'm screwed and I have the worst diseases in existence. I went and got chest x-rays and all the blood tests in the world and nothing.. I had numbness of skin in certain areas of my legs all of a sudden and docs told me to not worry. I am also on effexor 75g which I believe is affecting me really weird ways. My best advice. And please listen. Dont self diagnose. If being a doctor was as simple as googling symptoms and telling people they have a sickness then me and every other person who is obsessed with googling every ache and pain would be a Doctor. As long as your doctor tells you you shouldn't worry. You shouldn't worry. Its very very very hard to believe anxiety and stress can do this. But as far as I can tell its true. Atleast 3 docs have told me to not worry. All my family members and friends. I still choose to be fearfull. We have to fight this instinct to stress. Anyways best of luck and I hope you are doing fine or atleast better nowadays!

• Posted

I know I'm over a year late to this discussion but reading everyone's experiences with health anxiety was a huge relief that I'm not going crazy. I have been dealing with thus shortly after my second daughter was born. Im now 36 and its worse then ever.

I experience;

Heart palpitaions

Chest tightness

Shirtness of breath

Pain in chest

Headaches galore

Pain all over my body

Tingling in my left side

Pelvic pain

Digestion issues

Cramping

Sore throat

Dry eyes

Dry mouth

Ive sworn I was having an aneurysm

Heart disease

Cancer

Ive had so many xrays, mri's, cts with dye injections, ultrasounds, blood tests, stool tests. You name it ive had it done. Just resently i had a colonoscopy and endoscopy both clear. Still I have all symptoms and I swear Still SOMETHINGS NOT RIGHT!

I take adivan occasionally when I feel a panic attack coming on. It only helps a little. I now have a lump in my neck near my ear below my jaw and im stressing about it.

Ive exhausted not only myself but everyone around me. Its lonely, embarassing, and I just don't know what to do anymore. Im tired of my "loved" ones throwing my anxiety in my face telling me to snap out of it. Ive called mental health at my hospital and going to try out a therapists. I have 5 kids and I don't want this to ruin them seeing me always sick. Has anyone found something that helps at all?

• Posted

If you are still on here, the answer is yes there are many many people who go through the exact same things you are, including myself. It's horrible. I've had every disease in the world for the last 22 years, meanwhile I'm still alive and well. Thank God! So yes it's in your head and you aren't physically sick. My left chest is tender and cramped all the time. It scares me. I hate it. I hope you are feeling better!

• Posted

It is actually a relief to know that I am not the only one going through this.  I feel for every single person who is but it is helpful to talk and know others are in the same boat.

Back in September last year I hurt my neck during a water sport event on holiday.  I went to the Doctor who said it is probably damaged nerves, or muscle and it will heal in time on its on.  I was told to use painkillers to ease the pain.  After a while the pain didn't subside and I started to think I have something more serious.  This lead to the start of my anxiety.

I then started to experience chest pain, pain under my ribs, abdoman pain, back pain, tingling and pain in the arms and fingers, pain in the legs, the list is endless. I constantly think that I am dying, or I have something seriously wrong with me.  I go to bed thinking it, then wake up thinking it straight away and thats when the pain starts.  Everyday the pain seems to move from one area of the body to the next.  Its soul destroying and ruining my life. 

Recently I found a very small lump on my testicle.  I froze on the spot and then basically had a panic attack.  Went to the Doctor the following day, and he asked was it sore?  I said no.  He checked it out and he knew straight away it was nothing serious by the feel and size.  You'd think I would be reassured but no!  The next day I wake up constantly thinking about it and of course, I am now feeling pain in that area.  The mind really is a powerful tool.  Also another powerful tool is Google.  Why do we google everything?  I think I do it for reassurance that I am okay but then you see the words 'terminal' 'cancer' and 'death' and it makes your anxiety hit 150%.

I really want to go back to the way I was before.  I try to stay postitive, and smile through the aches and pains but its the hardest thing ever to do. 

If anyone has any useful tips to how they overcame or are overcoming their anxiety, please share! 

• Posted

Hi Jess...omg going through this all right now...it is controlling my life...
  • Posted

Hey how are you doing ? I was diagnosed with illness anxiety disorder witch is like the worst one ever , so I deff know how you feel I'm constantly feeling my heart beat and some time it's feels different then others , I have servel ekg's blood works and X-rays , witch all come back normal but yet my heart and chest don't feel right , I constantly find my self short of breath when I'm working or driving it can kick in at any time , it's a very hard thing to live with , I been on meds now for about a month and a half , doctor said it could take up to 3-6 weeks before they make a change , I definitely know how you feel and it's scary all the time , ppl tell me to get over it and it's all in my head , witch I know is true but it feels impossible at times , makes me feel better that I'm not the only one that's going threw this and there's a lot of ppl on are side . I just wanted to let ya know how I feel and what I am going threw to try to make your life a bit easier , Anexity is a real thing and are body's deffenity feel it . I'm here to talk to if you want !

• Posted

Hi Jessica

Wondering how you are feeling..

Just to let you know you are not alone on this.. god help us all 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.