Health anxiety taking over my life :( tingling and ms symptoms are they normal?!

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi guys thanks for having me.

I've come here wondering if anyone can give me some advice or shares a similar story. Basically my anxiety (at least I hope its just anxiety) brings on very scary and strange symptoms for me. It feels like the left side of my face is tingling and tightening, and also it feels like its drooping (even though visibly there is no change). I get the tingling in my left foot and toes and in my left arm and hand sometimes too. I went to the Dr's and they sent me to a neurologist after me freaking out I had MS. The neurologist said without even doing any tests she knew it wasn't MS. She did them all anyway and I had an MRI and everything came back clear.

I get the physical symptoms when I'm most stressed and anxious but they seem to stay around long after also. My left eye feels weird and I'm just generally sick and scared of the whole thing. If I knew for sure it was anxiety I think I'd feel much less worried. Thank you guys.

2 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I am a long time sufferer and potential beater of anxiety! Im not gonna stand here at tell you the feelings your experiencing arent real cos they clearly are but if it re asuures you any more, when i was at my worst i used to get an awful tightening in the right side of my neck and along my jaw and i was absolutely conved i had MS/ALS. This was all when the ALS ice bucket challenge was all over the place where ever i looked it was there i couldnt escape it! now ive spoken to someone about my problems and how to manage them the numbing and tightening sensation is far less frequent and aggressive! try and keep calm youre not on your own!
  • Posted

I get the drooping feeling tight numb feeling in one side of face and right now my feet are tingling .

I get muscle twitching burning feeling ect and a lot more anxiety definitely causes these I have had while been in hospital hooked up to machines and nothing wrong it's adrenline hunnie also when you're stressed it can cause all sorts I have noticed a lot if symtoms flare up when I'm upset/angry I have been through the ms/als worry I still have flare ups of it but I try to remember how long it has been xx

• Posted

I have exactly the same symptoms!! I was going mad thinking I had MS still waiting for neurology referral x
  • Posted

Hi Heather,

I get tingly across the back of my neck, then it feels tight. I have started wearing a headband so I can blame it on the headband!

Sometimes I get it in my cheeks and across the back of my scalp.

Something I noticed was that I was clenching my jaw really tightly with anxiety and it was leading to severe pain and aching. If you do the same - try relaxing your jaw and if you cant then chew chewing gum which stops you tensing.

It is very normal. I also would doubt it is MS and I have no medical training, just a lot of experience with anxiety.

You could try a head massage. It didnt work for me as it simulated all my nerve endings and I thought I was going to be physically sick the feelings were so weird and strong. But, it works for some people.

Try not to focus and worry about the symptoms of anxiety, try and work on things that make you feel better x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.