Health Anxiety...Weird Tingling? Fear MS.

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hey all. I'm a 21 year old male and have had health anxiety/hypochondria all my life. 

Recently I've been very afraid I have MS due to a slew of physical symptoms I've been having, directly following an 8 day vacation (travelling is another source of anxiety for me). I've had random bouts of shaking, twitches, easily fatigued muscles, shortness of breath, postural tremor in my left hand, etc. 

I'm pretty sure all these can be caused by continuously elevated stress/anxiety but I have this one symptom that drives me insane and all but convinces me I have MS.

I've been getting this weird tingling/itching sensation over my skin. Almost like a spiderweb feeling or like I'm near something with static electricity. It happens in my face, legs (worse when walking) and (primarily) my left arm (also seems to be worse with walking/activity). 

I'm really hoping this is due to shot nerves from anxiety, but my hypochondria will not release its grip on me! 

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I should also add that I tested negative for Lyme, all my bloodwork is normal, and I've recently had a full work-up from a neurologist who told me he doesn't think anything is wrong with me. Still terrified of MS!

• Edited

When I was in my 20s I was also convinced I had MS. I had all the symptoms you have and more! !  I have had Anxiety since first grade.  

my dad took me to a neurologist and everything came out normal. Everyone of my symptoms was due to stress and anxiety. You see, the body can only take so much stress before it wants to break down. All the symptoms are due to this.

symptoms are telling us that our bodies are exhausted.

please relax, the tingling and itching sensation on the skin is also very common with anxiety. I have had that on my arms, legs, behind, even in my scalp where it feels like a bug is crawling in there. What it is is  that there are very tiny little nerves underneath the skin and when we are anxious and stressed, they can vibrate a little bit creating a tingling or itching sensation. 

I do recommend everyone get a check up with their doctor  just to make sure everything was OK and then you would get a peace of mind. 

however, with these type of symptoms the odds are for you that they are brought on by anxiety and stress. 

if you're really thanks just your doctor can order an MRI to confirm that you are OK but that's up to you. 

here's a suggestion: so, all anxiety starts in the brain. When the brain is bombarded with anxiety you have an over anxious brain.  All that energy has to go somewhere so that's when we get these crazy symptoms. 

The key to all of this is calming  down the brain  so  the rest of the body is calm without symptoms. 

remember, you are in charge! Not the anxiety not the fear not the symptoms! Don't let fear take you over because it's miserable. 

what really calms me down is listening to guided meditation's for anxiety found on YouTube. There are many to choose from and they completely calm down my mind and body. I do this a couple times a day especially at night when lying down to sleep. I think they could really help you! I have been able to reduce or Eliminate my symptoms by doing this and a few other things. Just to let you know, I am now in my 50s and I never developed a MS!   I will never again let fear and negative thinking take me over.

please don't do what I did which was a waste 20 years of my life worrying about everything and nothing bad ever happened! What a waste of my life when I could've been enjoying those 20 years! No I say to myself I'm not going to worry if something happens in the future then I will deal with it at that time  and no sooner!! 

if you can get a hold of a book called mindfulness it teaches all of this and shows you how you can regain your peace of mind. It's a white cover with what looks like a ball of tangled string on the cover. 

make sure you get some exercise it releases a feel-good hormones from the brain, don't be too hard on yourself. Treat yourself well. 

eat healthy and don't forget to laugh and smile which has been proven to make positive changes in the brain! 

for severe anxiety I found it helpful to speak with a counselor. It's always good to vent to someone else in person. 

don't take life too seriously. Remember if you waste today and worry and fear you have lost this day and will never get it back. You are young so enjoy your life and find Any tool you can to D stress 

leave electronics at home and go for a walk in nature and appreciate the beauty of that which is very peaceful.

your story sounds exactly like mine and I would be willing to bet you are extremely healthy just going through a lot of health anxiety right now. You can do this.

Be A fighter for yourself and never give up! Remember….Calm brain equals calm mind and body.??😃

• Posted

Hi , love the way you explain things, having wasted so many years, great to reasure all these young anxiety sufferers who are brace enough to ask for help, wish I had the guts to tell someone sooner. When you said about if you waste this day you have lost it and will never get it back(so true) spent half my life wastefully worrying. Somebody told me 'yesterday is History, tomorrow's a mystery, and today is the present and the present is a gift. ' I keep telling myself if I have a bad day , live life a day at a time, when my head races and my heart races , I breath deeply and push forward, kind helpful words help so much.??

• Posted

Yes! And thank you.    We just have to cherish the moments we are in Now. 

worry does not add a day to our lives.

you are right, just keep pushing forward and remember to take those nice long deep breath's. 🌸🌸🌸

• Posted

Hi Jan,

I know it's been awhile since you responded. Hopefully you are still around. I just had some question regarding anxiety and what you experienced?

• Posted

Hey there, I am with you. I have had a number of different symptoms that "point" to MS. Tingling in feet/hands/fingers, off visual sensations and blurry vision, feeling off balance, dizzy, flashes of light, you name it I have felt them.

It is all anxiety. Work on it now while you are young and get to the root of what is causing these symptoms to manifest themselves as MS. There are much scarier diseases out there, but for some reason MS has stuck with you and myself. Speak to your counselor and find what works for you. Hang in there. You will have good days and bad. We are all here for you.

• Posted

Hello very sorry to here your struggling I have major health anxiety also .What always helps is getting a ok from the doctor but some times it doesn't.I can personally tell you ive felt all of those symptoms due to anxiety. Don't google search what you symptoms are and what they can mean I use to do that makes everything worse.When ever you think about your health in a negative way I always color the stress reliever books they work amazingly for me hopefully you will try them and they will work great for you

• Edited

man...if you have a neurologist giving you the all clear...i'd run with that if i were you.  my issues started when i was 24...i'm 42 now.  GAD/OCD and health anxiety for years.  every single symptom you've had i've had.  it's a nightmare i know, but i appears you're caught in a state of hyperstimulation/gad.

one thing i noticed about myself is i actually became mentally drained by it all to point of not caring or worrying.  it was as if i was numb and all fear dissolved.  i mean i really didn't care anymore and it was in that frame of mind where i noticed symptoms began disappearing quickly. 

i literally evolved into having this fearless attitude.  it just happened that way...the years of worrying etc...was as if my body took the steering wheel from me and said, "enough of this sh!t".  i still had symptoms, but they began going away quickly.  if i did notice a tremor or twitch or shortness of breath...my attitude was carefree...i would think...who cares...if it's serious and you die so what.  i was totally carefree.  that's where progress began for me.  you realize years later...the daily worrying...body scanning when you wake up in the morning...the panic...adrenaline rushes daily...keep you hyperstimulated...keep you in the anxiety cycle. 

anyway, it appears you're dealing with anxiety.  keep living and doing what you enjoy and do.  and really make the effort to not care about the weird symptoms you have.  the fatigue etc...  if you're able...take up jogging or go on long walks...or swimming.  exercise helped tremendously for me.

• Posted

Thanks so much for everyhting guys!

Another couple symptoms I've been struggling with are tight throat (at random times) and it seems like my limbs/parts of my body will fall asleep very easily! Hope this doesnt change anything. Still fearing MS! 

Peace

• Posted

Mine fall asleep in all sorts of positions, sometimes even standing. Tingling limbs, pins/needles, shortness of breath, blurry vision, etc. I have been to a number of doctors with "symptoms" and all clear. Be sure to explore therapy to establish why MS...this helped me exponentially. Also, I am against medication but Xanax/Valium can take the edge off and give you some time to relax. Start extremely small and go from there...if you can. Always here to chat, feel free to IM if you want to chat more. Hang tough!

• Posted

definitely with you on the tingling limbs falling asleep etc...the perceived weakness is annoying also.  well, it's all annoying.  likewise, shortness of breath...blurry vision, etc...  

• Posted

I have and am experiencing every single symptom you are describing and thdnsome! I am currently experiencing difficulty taking deep breaths, i feel like i cant gasp enough air to breath. Ive had tingling and fierce pressure in my face, neck, arms, chest and legs. My chest feels so tight sometimes that is hard to breath. I like you have been to the dr and done multiple test, i thought i had MS too at one point, and heart issues. All clear. I too had the muscle spasms, shaking etc. One night my spasms were so aggressive i could not fall asleep, the spasm would wake me up. I started doing Yoga and meditation. I am against medication and will not take it. Yoga has helped me out a lot. Im 90% better today than i was two months ago!
  • Posted

I’m only 16 years old and have had health anxiety for about a year now. I’m always very stressed and have bad anxiety. A couple of months ago I thought I had something terrible which made me worry everyday of my life. Now that I know I don’t have it I’m getting a tingling feeling in my left foot but it’s only my left foot that’s why I’m scared. I’ve been getting a little prickling sensation in my left foot for about 4 days now and it calms down sometimes and then comes back. I do notice that it gets a little weak but I can still walk and do everything normal. The other day when I wa watching tv I started to get really hot then I was getting dizzy. Got really scared and started to panic. A few months before that I went to the doctor and had many blood tests to rule out everything and everything came out normal, really scared I have ms.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.