Health anxiety worse than ever after dog scratch, don’t know what to do.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello,

I need some advice/reassurance, if possible. These past weeks have been terrible with my anxiety. I have had anxiety for many years, but I think these last few weeks have been worse than all years combined!

It has to do with health anxiety. The other night I was scratched on my thigh by a neighbors dog (4 months old but pretty big), when he escaped home and wanted to play with a dog being walked. He ran up to me, jumped on me and scratched me on my thigh, 2 long scrapes. Immedietly my mind ran to rabies. I even went to the owners house the day after to find out if he had his rabies shots, and he doesn't. I have been in tears for the last 3 days. Im tempted to go to the hospital for a rabies shot, but im anxious about that as well 😦 I dont know what to do. Im afraid of un needed shots, and Im afraid I could have rabies (i live in Canada, dog rabies seems to be rare, but i believe thats with vaccinated dogs). I cry thinking I will die and leave my kids no matter what I choose to do. It literally feels like too much (i had another health scare a few weeks back, as well as a few of my kids). I can barely function. I also don't want the hospital to get my neighbor involved for an accident. I'm not being logical in thinking. If i see a bruise on my leg I wonder if the dog bit me, or i got his saliva on my hand and touched my face not knowing. Ugh I hate anxiety brain.

I don't even know where im going with this post. I just needed to get it out somewhere will someone would understand. I told my husband and he just says I'll be fine...or why did I let the dog jump on me...which of course makes me feel guilty and anxious.

Thanks for reading.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Health anxiety is a b.i.t.c.h

I have been through a few years of very bad health anxiety and I wouldn't wish it on my worse enemy. It gets to a point when you finally have to give up.

I could try to give you reassurance about this dog incident and it might or might not help you. But when you think about it, why should a stranger saying you are going to be ok have a lot of value? But let's say it does help, great, tomorrow it will be something else.

I finally had to give up, every single day was living hell, I didn't want to carry on living if it had to be like that.

I would strongly advise you to get some help with your health anxiety, because what is the point anyway of having good physical health if your mental health doesn't allow you to enjoy life?

And regarding the dog scratch, I'm pretty sure you'll be ok but you could ask a doctor or pharmacist if they think a rabies shot is necessary in this case.

• Posted

You're 100% right. No matter how much reassurance I get, there is always something else. It's only better for a little while.

It really is terrible.

I'll probably head over to the hospital this weekend and ask...and see what I can do for this anxiety as well.

Thank you.

• Posted

I had the exact same thing happened to me 7-month ago, I went to buy an item from a guy on FB. As I was leaving walking back to my car, his small dog ran after me and scratched my leg, I asked if he was vaccinated , his reply was no and the dog doesn't have rabies, needless to say I was very worried, I didn't have any symptoms and the scratch was gone in a week, but if I had to go through that again, I would definitely get a rabies shot!

• Posted

It's just terrible. There is absolutely no logical thinking when it comes to anxiety. I'm thinking of going to the hospital this weekend to discuss the shots. Which brings more anxiety! But i'll get through it.

Thank you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.