Health concerns (Pre-hypertension @ age 22!)

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello, I have recently discovered that my blood pressure has been higher than it should be. I moved in late 2016, and I can admit my stress levels have been quite high since then (but my whole life has probably been like a 7/10 stress lol).A little background: I smoked Marijuana regularly when this all started. And I moved from a relatively cool weathered place to a desert. My health concerns first started with a dull but consistant chest pain. At first I thought it was something serious because I had been smoking for 2 years straight and I never had had it before, and I've NEVER had any health problems before. So I went to the ER, and they tested my blood and gave me an EKG. They said everything was fine. So I kept going on with my normal routine. I worked out A LOT, and smoked A LOT. I've began to notice the chest pains getting worse, and also happened much more frequently around the time I smoked. So after 3 or 4 months of persistance, I decided to quit smoking AND lowered my work out regimen from about 6 days a week to 3. (Because I also had a theory I was overtraining my chest muscles.) After a month or so, my pains lessened, however they remained persistant. I noticed fatigue, and my gains at the gym to stall if not cut my workout much shorter. I then stopped working out completely (and smoking weed completely), but my exercise did not cease, because I walk just about everywhere. So I would say I walk at least 2 miles a day. During this whole time I checked my blood pressure 2 or 3 times (not including the ER visit) and everything remained in the green. Recently, I've started having pains in my lower back/lower abdomen. So I rush to the conlcusion I had kidney problems. I went to the DR and I pointed to the spot it hurt, and he said It was much lower than where my kidneys were, but he ordered I get blood work to make sure. I haven't had my follow up appt yet, but it is this wednesday. Since my first appt 2 weeks ago he saw that my BP was pretty high. (167/xx), but I had a lot of alcohol the night (morning) before. So he suggested I check it daily. The following readings are my BP for the past week or so; 144/92, 150/71,147/74, 136/62, 134/70, 143/77, 130/69, 127/71, 124/63, 133/70, 127/74,135/75, 117/73 (this day was the day of my bloodwork and I had been fasting for 8 hours), 132/58, 127/68, 131/67. My reading lowered substantially after I stopped drinking alcohol completely, and stopped smoking ciggarettes. However, they remained in the pre-hypertensive state. I lowered my sodium intake, and got more sleep as well. I have also started a low weight work out regimen, and increase my water consumtion. The weather had been around 100-120 degrees where I live for some time now so I think that may have something to do with it. Anyway, I would appreciate anyones advice.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I'm sorry but I don't understand what the problem is. All the readings you've listed except for the 144/92 are normal or even low! The one high-ish reading means nothing at all in this context, neither does the diastolic of 167 if it was in your doctor's office. This would almost certainly have been down to "white coat syndrome" which practically all of us suffer from.

I suspect you've been reading articles about how no one is ever supposed to have a BP of more than 120/80. Most doctors moved on from that one years ago.

Well doen for improving your lifestyle. We all need to do this regardless of our BP. Think about cutting back a bit on carbs as well as salt, and especially refined sugar (which includes sodas and so-called "sports" drinks of course). Sounds to me as if you're overdoing the work-outs by a mile. Did you know that regular gentle exercise (e.g. swimming, cycling, brisk walking) is actually better for your BP than working out? Can you ditch the car and walk to work, college, whatever a few days a week? That would do you much more good than all these musle-damaging workouts.

The hospital tests showed there was nothing wrong. Keep an eye on your BP from now on (like once a week maybe) but stop worrying about it and get on with your life.

• Posted

It doesn't look like you have any problem with your BP I think you might have anxiety blood pressure problem would be much worse readings I think you are okay

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.