Health insurance and statins

Posted , 3 users are following.

I declared the fact that I was taking statins to an insurance company and they promptly removed cover for heart related illness. The rationale was that if the doctor prescribed then I must be in a high risk group. It took a long time to get this decision reversed and this happened as the doctor accepted I was low risk and took me off them. Anyone else had a similar experience

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I have experienced exactly the same problem over several years. I had insurance included with my HSBC bank credit card with pre-existing conditions such as atriall fibrillation, replaced aortic heart valve and mitral valve regurgitation, all accepted and covered for worldwide travel. I underwent a further op. to replace the leaking mitral

heart valve, which made me feel better than I had for 30 years. I was walking 5 miles each morning in 1 hour 15 minutes, ie 4mph with no problems until I reported my successful surgery to the Banks insurer. They asked if I was on statins, which I had been on since 2004. and they decided instantly not to cover me for ANY heart related problems. There was I feeling better than ever. So after 55 years I told HSBC where to shove their Insurance and was accepted by the Co-op.

• Posted

Hi Derek - have you thought about abandoning your insurance company like they attempted to abandon you? That's what I'd be doing - and not quietly, either!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.