Healthy individual with adbormal Liver

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hey everyone,

I am a reasonable healthy 26 yr old female, I am not overweight at all and don't suffer from any health problems. Except anxiety so I take Fluoxatine 20mg daily. I went for a blood test about a pain in my left side of the abdomen, as the Doctor thought I may have a kidney or bladder infection. However he noticed on results that my liver function had risen from my last test.

My liver function test ALT was 33 in July, 50 in September and 70 in October. I got referred for a scan, but the radiographer could not see any damage.

I am just wondering what could be the cause of my liver function test rising? I have an appointment with my Doctor on Tuesday as he wants to monitor this. 

Many thanks

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

In my opinion, your post post may have the answer - a side effect if the drug. So don't worry.

Generally docs don't consider sides but, in my experience, they may listen if you suggest that. I can quote a recent example for billurubin with statins, for example. The risk may be low eg 1%, but is generally there with drugs - hence natural solutions better.

See liver side effects study at: https://livertox.nih.gov/Fluoxetine.htm

Take care.

• Posted

Hi those figures are not massively raised and to be honest your on Fluoxatine which can easily raise your numbers so don't worry, remind your GP your on this drug.

I would compare when you started the meds and how long after it began to rise

• Posted

Thanks guys,

I started taking Fluoxatine 60mg three tablets at the end of January when I came off Mirtazapine. Slowly reduced down to 40mg and then in September I reduced to one tablet a day of 20mg. So the less I take the more it is effecting my liver it would seem? However I remember the Doctor saying it takes a couple of months for Fluoxatine to get in to the system properly. 

• Posted

So its still possible its the meds as these enzymes don't just leap up over night, when are you due you're next blood test

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.