Healthy lifestyle and prevention of DVT huh? I exercise...

Posted , 2 users are following.

Healthy lifestyle and prevention of DVT huh? I exercise everyday, I have never smoked, I am not on the pill, I am a healthy weight, I eat 5 portions of fruit and veg a day and yet I have a popliteal DVT, why? I'm only 45 and cycle the 18 miles to work each day. Now I am totally sedentary whilst things resolve and its driving me nuts.

[i:f926b52925]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:f926b52925]

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

had a dvt on oct 30 2004 still in my leg , saphenous vein , some docs say it is trivial , rarely do clots break off, other docs say it is serious with problems for the brain etc if a small clot breaks off . on coumadin , now i have 3 ulcers in my stomach , last week had a stomach haemorhage and almost died . had to sign for 3 pints of blood or would have 'crashed, was saved by a perfect stranger !!

now i know about life . please keep a positive outlook , try to execrcise if you can , not extreme exercise , but gentle, thorough , stop to enjoy the plants , the sunset etc . we are here such a short time anyway - Ed

[i:de4b3a4506]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:de4b3a4506]

• Posted

Hi,

I'm also an healthy person 36 years old and playing sports at hight level, super fit and very good diet (41kgs).Never drinks, never smoke. Sports have been all my life.I fractured my left ankle at soccer on the 3rd July05 and developped a DVT in the calf and most probably due to the immobilization.Since my life is terrible and no activities at all and I'm deseperated.At hospital for 8 days in august05 and under very high doses of warfarin (12mg).It has been 3 months and my blood clot is getting smaller but still there.Nobody wants to take me for physio as they are scared by the eventuality that blood clot will break off.So no more muscle at all in my left leg and very limited mobility with my ankle.Blood clot still painful even small.Reading your feedback really worry me as It means that my blood clot might stay there for very long time or forever !!.I've no more patient at all and need to fix my ankle and go back to sports.As well I'm under high doses of warfarin and looking into last bad issue it really scared me (ulcer&hemorragia).I'm now like a fragile object in bubble wrap and not allowed to get any knock or accident otherwise I might need some red pints too.It is surprising that after so many years , medecine has not improved regarding this DVT. People which DVT are all having the same frustration and doctors release information step by step.No one of them telling us that in fact it is a very long trip.As well the stocking every day is not very comfortable and give you rashes and give you some constraints for dressing.I know we have no choice that to keep it up and think positively that our "iron clot" will one day walk away.By the way may I know how much comadine are you taking?

Regards,Eguzkine

[i:6742e275cf]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:6742e275cf]

• Posted

Hi

I'm 33 and was diagnosed with 2 DVT's, one in my calf and one behind my knee. So far it has been a very painful journey. I don't smoke or drink and have plenty of exercise but so far the doctors have no idea why this happened. More tests are due at the end of my treatment.

5 weeks into treatment and things are improving-my walking is much better and the pain has reduced. I am trying to regain my fitness but I am having to take it so increadably slowly and I too can see some signs of muscle waste in my calf. I am on 3mg of warferin and have just had my first week without any blood tests!!!!

I have no idea what my long term difficulties will be. At the moment my aim is to return to normality with as little discomfort as possible. At least I can drive again and walk my dog, but only small trips.

Having DVT has made me re-assess my life and I am to make changes as it is easy to take your health for granted.

I am so pleased that this was acted apon promptly by my doctor as I have been in pain for about a week thinking it was tendonitis.

Kind regards

Louise

[i:fa8a5ba85f]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:fa8a5ba85f]

• Posted

Hi,

I am 36 years old and I too found out 1/6/06 that I have DVT in my calf and in my leg. I play hockey 2 times a week and stay pretty active. The doctor started me on Lovenox (enoxaparin) and Warfarin 5mg, doing the shots really sucks but I will do whatever it takes to get healthy again. My doctor told me I will be on Warfarin for at least 3 months or the rest of my life depending on my blood results. It is hard to think I will never be able to play contact sports again. The funny thing about my DVT is that I am in no pain what so ever and the orginal swelling went down over night. Does anybody have experience with playing contact sports after having DVT? Do you think I should get a second opinion? I hate the fact of being on a maintenance drug the rest of my life if that is what the doctor says.

[i:7647c48d18]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:7647c48d18]

• Posted

I have had two DVT's for no aparrent reason. I have had numerous tests and all inconclusive - it sucks! However, despite the constant monitoring, the damage to both legs, and not being able to return to long distance running (my passion!) I am very glad to be alive. I value each day and am a calmer, happier person for it! Ask as many questions from as many doctors as possible, trawl the internet and get your answers and if you are not happy then ask again.

Contact sports are not the best idea when on anti-coagulants but I always speak to my doctor before doing any new exercise now. No more rugby and no more mosh-pits but a second chance at life eh?

[i:3f16504b8d]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:3f16504b8d]

• Posted

Hi friends i am new  in this forum and i want to discuss our experience 
  • Posted

Most Important thing to maintain  health is fitness

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.