Healthy Living

Posted , 18 users are following.

Does anyone else get fed up with this healthy living business (or am I alone)?

If you don't run, walk, cycle, etc etc every day all sorts of terrible things will happen to you (stroke, heart attack, siffness, depression, etc).

Food:  few carbs, no fat, no grains, no cream, etc.

I'm sure my mother never worried about these things.  Neither did my MIL (and she died when she was 96)!  Both as happy as sandboys.

I worry more about these things since PMR and life isn't as pleasant.  I've never been really overweight or had many illnesses - so why can't I just forget about 'healthy living'?

C. 😏😏

0 likes, 129 replies

129 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Trouble is that my generation from 1945 had to put up with, pesticides on stuff that is grown, atomic radiation fall out, PCB's and plastic that was toxic. Now it is GM food.

I try not to eat 'farmed' salmon, battery hens or their eggs either.

I am forever grateful that my family grew most of their own stuff and never used pesticides.  I still don't. 

Anyway, a liitle of what you fancy does you good and everything in moderation.

I notice that coffee is now in trouble, will be tea next.  grrrrrrrrr.

• Posted

I thought coffee was always trouble and, of course, tea also!  What would we have won the war on if our soldiers couldn't get a good cup of tea?What do they give you if you have a shock, a good cup of tea, of course.

Not particularly fond of chocolate or sweets, but I am just about to eat a Tiramisu, have a cup of coffee and a Grande Marnier.  Cheers!

• Posted

I'm with you there. We eat only organic red meat and chicken, wild salmon and organic eggs. We're trying to eat smaller portions but better quality. Weight for weight I often find the organic stuff equivalent or sometimes even cheaper if it's on offer,than the other ranges except for the real budget stuff of course which we never ate anyway. Nothing ever comes out of a tin. Oh except baked beans which are now banned!
    • Posted

I read somewhere that our generation may be the first that will not live longer than their parents.  This may have been partly counteracted by advances in medical procedures, transplants and so forth, but I think our exposure to chemicals and radiation will have a lasting effect on us and subsequent generations.  I too try to avoid foods that may be contaminated in some way, but as everything in North America is now contaminated with glyphosate, it is a bit of a losing battle.
    • Posted

That's a scary thought. To be honest I don't mind not living to a really old age, but I do want to have a decent quality of life and as good health as I can while I am here. Ahh the dreaded glyphosate/roundup/monsanto equation. Nasty stuff. They care not what they do. 
    • Posted

I'm not sure what generation you are. I thought it was the generation  following me. I am in my 60s but nearer 70 than 60! However, as my parents died very young then I am certainly much older than my parents were. This is the first time I have had to take medication apart from very occasionally. I have been very fortunate in that respect. 

• Posted

How can you ban baked beans?  Strangely enough, when I lived in England I hardly ever ate them, but now I can't get them very often I really enjoy them on toast for breakfast.

In fact, I'm fed-up with thinking about healthy food (hence my post today).  I think I will eat what I like, when I like, but just in small portions.

• Posted

They are one of my major weaknesses that I can't stop eating and as you say on toast is a double whammy of carbs, so they are banned from our store cupboard. If they are there they call to me any time of day or night. sad
    • Posted

It is suggested that thirty per cent of our diet should be carbs, that is complex carbs, not simple carbs. Beans are good as they have a large amount of vitamins, minerals and protein with only about three per cent carbohydrate. The trouble with canned baked beans is the large amount of sugar added, but you can make your own which are infinitely nicer.
    • Posted

Yep but I'm trying to keep my carbs down as much as poss and I'm naughty with beans. If they were in the house I'd eat them. Like some peeps crave chocolate. I spread my carbs amongst nuts/seeds for my breakfast Greek yoghurt and the rest for veggies and brown rice. 
    • Posted

I'm with you....I don't want to end up sitting in a wheel chair

in a nursing home with my head hanging waiting to die.  If

I can't have some quality of life don't want to be here.  My best

friend of 44 years is now in nursing home with full blown

Alzheimer's and doesn't know who I am anymore...... But....

it's all a crap shoot isn't it?

• Posted

There are various discussions as to whether you should use fresh tomatoes (Heston Blumenthal!) or canned. I prefer canned.  Also I like onions with it but they are not necessary and you are not supposed to be making a pasta sauce but a baked bean sauce! I also like mine quite thick and sticky while others do not. I make it with haricot beans I soak, but I think you can use pretty well any sort of dried bean. You can also use canned beans which are more expensive but quicker. I also add a bit of mustard. Some people add bacon as well, also hot peppers such as jalapenos or chillis, I don't like them though. The important thing is to put the beans in the oven and cook very slowly. I suppose you could even add minced beef. A meal in itself. Look up the various options on Google and go for your preferences. 
    • Posted

Oh No.....she was my best friend for 44 years....She's 84 yo.

A retired teacher and it was hard to watch all her wonderful

intelligence slowly just go away.

• Posted

A lot of the older generation died from infection.  Before the days

of penicillin and the anti-biotics that came later many died of

simple wounds they couldn't heal.   My sister-in-law's younger

sister died from an abcessed tooth.  We're lucky in a lot of

ways.

• Posted

No - our children's generation I think is the one they mean.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.