Heamiplegic Migraine Commenced on Flunarizine

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all,

Ive just been diagnosed with Heamiplegic Migraines and commenced on Flunarizine. As it is not licensed in the UK I can't find out much about it on the net. Does any one know how long it will take to see any effect? And if i'm able to drink alcohol? I am not a big drinker but as i'm 26 I like to go out with my friends now and again. 

Thankyou

Robyn smile

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

yeah i was told about this, it has to be imported from germany.  It will take a week or 2 to get into your system, google it seems a few pointers to what it does and effects it could give you..
  • Posted

Hello Robyn. Flunarizine takes about 6-8 weeks to take it's full effect and alcohol should be avoided as it can cause drowsiness. Hope that helps
    • Posted

Thanks Matron, Am I able to have a couple? 

I have a good feeling about this and hopefully i wont be on it too long and can get back to normal life. 

• Posted

If you take the tablet on a morning personally I think having a drink on a night shouldn't be a problem. It's just drinking within a few hours before or after a drink could make you very drowsy and could make you feel unwell. As your body tolerates the tablets more it will become much better.
    • Posted

Okay great this is good news, i'm fed up of being the designated driver at every celebration including my own birthday when i was on topirimate. Thankyou very much for your help Matron.

Have you known people on these meds before? Ive heard the side effects are not as scary as topirimate and people have had better results?

• Posted

In patients who respond to the drug it is reported to be very effective but research shows that if after 3-4 months it has not made any difference to the frequency of the migraine attacks then it is not worth continuing with the treatment. So I suppose like most drugs it doesn't suit everyone but it appears that this treatment is promising in most cases. There is even a chance that when effective the doseage can be reduced.
    • Posted

That again sounds very promising. Thanks again smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.