Hearing after cholesteatoma surgery

Posted , 26 users are following.

I am 22 and was told I have cholesteatoma yesterday. Even after getting recurrent infections in my right ear once every year for the last 6 years I did not think a condition of this nature would exist. So it came as a major shock to me! I know it is rare but if not treated can cause many complications. I am really worried how my hearing would be after the tympanomastoidectomy with removal of ossicles/hearing bones as at the moment I have only slight loss at high frequency. Is it a definite hearing aid will be needed after? is the hearing loss mild/severe? Is there anyone who has not needed a hearing aid?

Anything will be much appreciated! Thank you

2 likes, 33 replies

33 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Denise I just been diagnosed with chronic inflammation of mastoid bone and is all new to me n I’m super scared. Please can u give me the name and number of ur doc that successfully treated u? Where did u had the procedure done?please help!!!
  • Posted

Hiya, I had this surgery in March 2018, I also had it done 11 years ago and was never told it would return and was dismissed from ENT. I waited a year for my operation and was told it was massive when they removed it. I too was worried about hearing aids, in fact my hearing improved so I didn’t need one. 

Sadly though I have suffered numerous infections since and facial pain, and dizziness which I am hoping stops soon.

All the best with your op!

• Posted

Hi there.

I am sorry you are going through this as well. My son is 6 found out he had cholesteatoma since he was 3. He has had 4 surgeries and going for his 5 next week. He has lots All his hearing in his left ear. They are now removing the inner wall inside. His ear continues to leak blood and other discharge from it. Hoping to hear that you have had better luck with your surgeries.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.