Hearing Aid advice please

Posted , 3 users are following.

Just had hearing test by a private hearing centre.  Would be interested to learn of peoples' experiences with NHS and private hearing aids.  I am going to ask my GP for a referral for an NHS test etc.  I met somebody who has NHS aids and says they are tiny and brilliant but you need good dexterity to manage them.  I have arthritis so not so dextrous.  The private aids start at £1500 which is a lot if equally efficient ones can be had on the NHS.  

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

The NHS is constantly updating its hearing aids, so you will get the best model that will suit your level of hearing. Ongoing replacement aids will be free and again,up to date.  Bear in mind the aids are free no matter how many you need during your lifetime. The batteries are free,but you will have to buy the ones for a private aid. Some of the NHS aids are tiny and brilliant but they dont suit everyone and if you find it is not suitable for you it will be replaced at no charge.

Bear in mind that the NHS is not looking for a sale like a private company. As you have had the test at a private company I expect they will be badgering you for some time to buy.  Private is not necessarily the best.

I know 2 people who have had both Private and NHS aids and both say NHS is better for aftercare

• Posted

Hi Marina

Thanks so much for your very informative and helpful reply.  I shall certainly explore the NHS route first.  

Best Wishes 

Linda

• Posted

Hi Linda and pails if already had reply. Am new to this and battery went half way through message. I joined as have had what I call screaming head for as long as remember. Sometimes so loud I felt I was going deaf. As young adult went to gp several times thinking I must be deaf as when the noise which now know was in head suddenly increased to unbearable levels I couldn't hear even if someone was right next to me. I was given treatments for poss infection and ear wax etc. Anyway didn't go and recently gave up work as was getting embarrassing as it was a struggle with all this loud noise in head. Am not so old adult and now plan go back to work. I took self off to hearing centre and payed private for 2 hearing aids as following tests was told had significant loss. Dunno exactly how works but 70db in one ear and up to 55 in other. Am all new to this but think means that average loudness for me to hear. Was surprised as hearing always been that way but the noise has got to unbearable levels and as though too loud for me to hear. I too struggle with fiddly things as have rheumatoid arthritis which affect my hands in particular but the aids I bought are very simelar to that a friend recently had through nhs and are very small and lightweight and comfortable to use. They very small and light but really easy to put on and off. I now wish I'd have pressed nhs for audiology referral because would definitely have gone for what nhs  have as very similar to the ones I paid money couldn't afford for. It's definitely worth a shot with nhs and end of day they a lot cheaper if indeed you have to pay anything and if do am sure cheaper than paying private as i payed nearly £900 each. Try NHS cos they've come a long way and modern aids are small. I'm pleased as can now go,cinema n do stuff with very little struggle but it,emover wud defo go nhs. Hope you get on ok and apols for ramble but am same with texts 

• Posted

Hi Jube

Thanks so much for your reply and information, as I said to Marina I am definitely going to explore the NHS route first.

Best Wishes

Linda

• Posted

Hi Linda and glad got message. I’ve had mine several years now and been great. Went local surgery this morn to get prescription and they had big posters inviting people to make an appointment with an advanced audiologist that will b there now once a week. It got me thinking and a coiincidence but friend popped round n told me same thing and had taken the number. I never bothered nhs after got mine as for years got no further than gp but am gonna make appointment. End day nothing to lose and may end up with new ones n have spares cos for ever losing em and have had them prob bout 8 years now but with regular free checks they’ve at most just been adjusted but have payed me dues over the years so am glad got me thinking. Good luck and hope u get sorted with little or no cost 🐴🐈🐾

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.