Hearing aids

Posted , 5 users are following.

Any tips on getting hearing aids?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sue. I'm wearing hearing aids for the last 2 years, but as I'm not in the US I can't recommend brands.

Things that are good about mine are:

they don't fill the ear cavity, so I'm getting natural sound as well as what's coming through the aid.

They recognize when I'm in a predominantly musical environment and so switch to a music setting (though to be honest, I don't actually experience this difference.)

They're discreet.

One is a hearing aid, the other is a crossover - a microphone that picks up sound and transmits to the aid (I'm deaf on one side. )

They were the best at the time, but they are improving all the time.

I know someone who got aids recently and hers are linked to her phone, so she can make adjustments herself. That's a great improvement.

Best of luck with it!

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. I know nothing about hearing aids and would appreciate anyone's input. Where to begin...to whom to go...etc.

I am in NYC

• Posted

I received hearing aids from the VA for free. If you are a vet please go there first. VA gives the top of the line quality hearing aids....with all the bells and whistles available. Now, my personal experience with hearing aids is they do not help much. Hearing aids will increase sounds and can help somewhat in masking some noises but the distortion of sound that MD patients have will not be improved. I do not wear my hearing aids because of increased sound distortion and increased outside noises that actually are painful to my ears (I have bilateral MD).

• Posted

I think it is called the HearNow program in the states.....Google it. it is income based and it is how I got my hearing aid. Great program.

• Posted

I am under 50 years old and have bilateral Meniere’s Disease. This wretched disease has caused so much hearing loss that I finally had to give in to getting hearing aids to hear on the phone and to listen to music. If you get good hearing aids like Miracle Ear or the equivalent, they can be customized for your hearing loss by frequency to help you hear the tones that you are missing and/or damaged for music and voices to sound more normal. If you just get a cheap pair they will just amplify all noises which would be dreadful.

Please consider meeting with an audiologist for a hearing test first to see what your needs are.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.