Hearing Aids

Posted , 6 users are following.

After three years with this disease I've come to realize the hearing loss in my ear is permanent and so does the tinnitus seem to be. I would like to get a hearing aid and have read there are some that can also help to mask the tinnitus.

I have asked around for an audiologist in my area (tri-state area of NY/NJ) that specializes in Meniere's and have come up empty.

I thought I might ask here for recommendations on hearing aids since I'm coming up empty on audiologists. If anyone has one that they love please let me know. I'm 46 and tired of avoiding social situations where I can't understand what anyone is saying.

Thanks Ahead!!

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

i jave widex bicross love em it takes the sounds from the non aidable ear if aoplicable and sends it to the good earthey have givem me tje ability to talk again in retaurants etc

• Posted

I never heard of them I will definitely look into that. Thank you!

• Posted

Its a shame you don't live in the UK as I got a hearing aid really easily although I have to say I'm not fully impressed with it. I only have hearing in my right ear as completely deaf in my left ear, and was diagnosed in April

this year with tinnitus in my right ear which when it becomes very loud completely blocks off all the hearing in my right ear. I was issued with the hearing aid which is completely useless when the tinnitus is too high, but when the humming in my head is slightly lower allowing me to hear a bit, then the hearing aid does help as it helps pick up peoples voices clearer although I do believe I could do with the volume being turned up higher on mine as with me turning up my volume to the highest setting, sometimes it is still a struggle so am going back to see my audiologist on Wednesday to see if he can go on his computer to change the volume level to set it to higher. Good luck, I hope that you find an audiologist in your area. My consultant told me that tinnitus does eventually calm down but will take

time. He said to try to avoid all stress which makes it worse, which is true in my case, but with the world that we all live in, stress is hard to avoid.

• Posted

My hearing loss and screaming ear noise are also with me forever, and I was not happy with all the expensive hearing aids I tried, as none made the noise any quieter or my hearing issues any better. I found after trying 4 or 5 of them I would just NOT WEAR THEM, and returned them before the trial period ended. Try as many as you can, being sure they are returnable, and see if any of them get the job done. No way I want to spend $5000-$7000 for a device that sits in the drawer. I am sure I will try again in a few months to see if any new devices can do what I need, but so far I am not happy with the results. I hope you find the one that gets the job done!

• Posted

Hey Lorelei, I'm sorry to hear about your hearing loss. I am under 50 years old and have bilateral Meniere’s Disease. This wretched disease has caused so much hearing loss that I finally had to give in to getting hearing aids to hear on the phone and to listen to music. If you get good hearing aids like Miracle Ear or the equivalent, they can be customized for your hearing loss by frequency to help you hear the tones that you are missing and/or damaged for music and voices to sound more normal. If you just get a cheap pair they will just amplify all noises which would be dreadful.

Please consider meeting with an audiologist for a hearing test first to see what your needs are. The miracle ear hearing test is free this a link to an earlier hearing aid post

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/hearing-aids--688764?page=0#3428122

• Posted

Thank you so much! I'm sorry you have it bilaterally. I hope we see a cure for this in our lifetime. It is truly dreadful.

• Posted

my opinion is to search for the better devices, and avoid the cheap ones. The technology, while still not great, is better than it was just 5 years ago. You may not want all the bells and whistles they offer, but sometimes the bells/whistles are just what you need.

• Posted

cheap hearing aids would be a waste of tome on my opinion if you have no hearing or little hearing in one ear an aid will be useless yku need to look at cros or bicros hearing aids which takes the soubd from the bad side and transfers it to the good find a good audiologistmine are the brand widex they work very well and calm the tjnitus but typically tinitus acts up with too much salt caffeine stress etcdrink lots of water asians treatment is several glasses of water a day i m told good luck

• Posted

hi, I am in the exact situation, permanent hearing loss and 24/7 tinnitus. I wear a hearing aide but only to play pink noise over the tinnitus, however, I am realizing that it can always be worse, my spinning attacks are less than they used to be. I live on Long ISLAND and went to the Hearing CENTER of Plainview for my hearing aide/masker. i think they are becoming more common and if you ask around some ent offices, they might provide one. i have volume control when the sound is louder on certain days and i even sleep with it in. it is a life safer as i was going mad with the tinnitus. i hope this helps, keyboard is not cooperating with caps, etc. i am 5 years post diagnosis.

Debbie

• Posted

My hearing aide was around $3,000, with insurance covering half but I have horrible insurance. I think they call them tinnitus maskers. It has a toggle switch that lets me toggle through 4 different programs that the audiologist helped me set up. The first program was a regular hearing aide to compensate for the hearing loss in that ear, the other 3 programs were pink noise (there were many sounds to choose from) starting at a low level moving up in volume depending upon the day or minute.

I eventually had the hearing aide setting removed because my tinnitus is 24/7.

I even bought a separate oticon device that pairs with my phone that plays other sounds when the pink noise doesnt work, so I have listened to birds singing in my ear on really bad days, luckily not so often. My hearing aide brand is AGX. You might have better insurance but try to find an ENT that has some experience with Meniere's patients, it makes all the difference in the world to have someone knowledgeable and compassionate with this relentless disease. Wishing you relief!!! I get my hearing checked every 3 months and if the ENT ever thinks there is a significant loss, he told me he would put me on a diuretic to keep the loss from getting worse.

I've started putting captioning on for movies and shows, it really helps because I can miss some words.

Good Luck! please let us know how it turns out for you.

Debbie

• Posted

We are with you, sister! Hopefully some new progress will be made this year in helping ease our ears. (I was going to say "ease our pain" but that is too "Field of Dreams" so Ease our Ears! Come on, NIH, get some testing going! I volunteer!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.