Hearing is flat and different HELP!

Posted , 2 users are following.

Sooo this has happened over the last 10 months

So I've had inflamed sinuses which we can't seem to sort out no infection but nose is Inflamed to the point I can barely breathe. The left is completely closed and the right is less so. I'm not having an allergic reaction as i've had bloods and im IM E is so low like 9.50 when it just needs to be <100. My ears wont pop at all and my eyes feel twitchy.

I've had tinnitus for a while which got worse again when I listened to some music. I also have tension in my neck shoulders and all the way down my back that I can't get rid of it's sore and wont shift the tension goes right up into the back of my neck behind my ears.

So over time I started losing internal sensation in my body and face which was scary but manageable i've now its spread to my ears and i've started to lose that feeling in and around my ears which is scaring the s*it out of me. I  can still hear pretty much perfectly but anywhere busy it’s difficult to distinguish between sounds properly and sound is quite flat and irritates my ears. The sensation in my inner ear and outer ear then my ear shell went bit by bit over weeks and each time was followed by a change to the way things sound. This happened in both ears simultaneously except once when it happened in the left then the right ear.

Noise doesn’t resonate through my ears or head properly anymore it's bizzare. I’ve had tinnitus for a long time which started when I started getting ill in January. The tinnitus has gone from a ringing to a hiss and is now quieter and higher pitched as I lose the hearing sensation around my ear. it started with right inside my ear going dead then a bit further out and then the outer shell then slowly the areas around the ear which I didn’t even realise picked up sound until it went dead. At the moment my T is now hissing is very high pitched and distant. I hate using headphones now because music sounds so flat and strange. Loud noises irritate me too even my own voice is a bit much sometimes.

Anyone have any clue what could be causing this or if i'm just going to lose my hearing one day when the last bit gets snuffed out?

I'm waiting on an ENT referral as the NHS is over subscribed i'm going to be waiting until after christmas it took me months to get a GP referral as they would rather shove nasal sprays at me.

Thanks in advance for any advice / help

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Actually I think I have lost hearing of some frequencies I just re did a hearing test and I have lost some higher frequency hearing. I could hear pretty well before and now I've dropped down to average for someone over 30. Which is still good but it's dropped since 3 months ago. I played some music I know well and it's very one dimensional I can't hear all the subtleties anymore 

• Posted

Hello, I'm in England too.  Many on this Forum suffer Eustachian Tube Dsyfunction and I have done so since the 1980's.  Such a miserable condition and drags us all down.

I too have Tinnitus that started due to blocked ears.  I suffer Sinusitis, Rhinitis and Allergies....all that cause ETD.

my hearing is down in my left ear and that is the ear that is usually blocked up.  My left nostril is bad too, particularly at night when trying to sleep.

Does sound as though you maybe suffering the same.  I find Flixonase Nasule Drops help me a lot.  I was so bad back in April this year I was prescribed a 20 day reducing course of Prednisolone Steroid tablets, then a six weeks course of the Nasules, then back on the Flixonse Aqueous Nasal Spray.  We all suffer a tremendous amount of inflammation and that has to be got rid of before our tubes behave properly.  I've had almost 6 months relief, but no holding my breath for a complete cure, as allergies and particularly with our Winters I know it will be bad.

Sorry can't be of anymore help with your problem.  Best you just wait it out and see your ENT Consultant.  fortunately, I have a very good one.

Which part of the country are you in ?

Hope you get help soon.

Anne

• Posted

Thanks Anne

I've been on steroid and anti histamine nasal sprays since January and they've all made me super anxious and done nothing to help. I'm thinking of paying to get a private CT scan of my sinuses but I don't know if it's just going to confirm what we already know and wont really diagnose anything...hmmmm.

Is there are way of clinically diagnosing ESD.

I've had a hearing test and I have lost a bit of hearing I've also lost had it confirmed my vision is worse so i'm hoping it's not all connected

I have a black tooth and gum disease and I wonder if this could be contributing?

• Posted

If you see any ENT consultant he will know immediately what's wrong and hopefully get you sorted.

Unlikely your Dental Health would cause your condition.

I think you sound as though you already know what's causing your problem......a scan of your sinuses  will probably confirm this.

Anne

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.