Hearing loss

Posted , 3 users are following.

please help!! my dad has hearing loss in both ears, he has hearing aids but wont wear them, he says they don't work. he's had this for a long time and i know this is not the first hearing aid either. does anyone know why someone would refuse to wear their hearing aids? r they uncomfortable? because nobody can stand to be in the same room he's in. my mom and nephew both stay in their rooms ALL THE TIME. i hate to say this, but my dad is extremely lazy, selfish and apparently doesn't care that he's making everybody miserable. my parents' dog is now deaf because he has the tv on 24/7 blasting so loud that i have to wear earplugs. im going thru a financially difficult time right now so im staying with my parents temporarily. im so worried about my 2 cats too, i can wear earplugs but they can't. why would somebody choose to alienate everybody around him? r hearing aids that bad? please help me understand before i snap

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

You don't say where he got his aids or how old he is. I'm 72 and have had NHS aids provided by Action for Hearing Loss for about 6 months now. They are fiddley, a bit difficult if you wear glasses but shouldn't be painful and they do make a difference to hearing some things like the TV but they are not infallible, they do take a bit of getting used to, and in a conversation it's best to be directly opposite the person speaking to you as the microphone is at the front of the aid so they can seem useless if you are sitting next to someone.You also need to wear them continuously (not in bed!) at first to get used to them. When not in use the battery case needs to be left open so the batteries don't run down needlessly. Also the batteries need replacing every 2 weeks if they are worn continuously. The aids make a beeping noise when the batteries, which are free, need replacing. Look at the Action for Hearing Loss website. The most compelling reason for using them (and this might persuade your father) is that if you have hearing loss and don't do anything about it you may increase your chances of getting dementia. Other than that disable the TV! Good luck.

• Posted

Good Morning - it's not all that unusual that certain individuals have hearing aids and leave them in their drawer. There's a host of reasons why people refuse to wear them even though they significantly improve hearing loss. Like everything else, there's a root cause of why your Dad won't wear his. Until you find that out, the hearing aids will remain useless and the tv will remain full blast.

You mention that your Dad is "extremely lazy and selfish." Not sure that would be the reason why he doesn't wear hearing aids that are "uncomfortable" but you seem to have more than one issue going. If you were me and I was in your position, I would take him back to where the hearing aids were purchased and see if any adjustments could be made. Is he a candidate for any type of surgery, such as cochlea implants? I'm doubting he would even consider surgery if he won't wear hearing aids.

Sometimes personality disorders enter into decisions that some people make - that have a direct effect on others. My opinion is, your Dad really should speak to a professional. I'm feeling it's just not about wearing the hearing aids but all the issues he has going that lead up to him not wearing them. The "uncomfortable" aspect of it all is just an excuse. I hope you find a resolution to this issue. You don't mention his age which could be a big factor in further evaluating a resolution.

Good Luck!

• Posted

I forgot to say in my earlier comment that a lot of people, including my brother in law, won't even contemplate getting their hearing tested because of vanity. One forgets that older people often don't want to accept that they are aging (and definitely don't want other people to view them as old) and therefore don't want to wear hearing aids.

• Posted

thank u both so much for helping me out! i really feel bad about saying my dad is lazy, but yesterday i thought i was gonna snap!! and just typing it all out really helped me calm down. my dad's 74 and he's a veteran so he got his hearing aids from the VA hospital in Atlanta, Georgia. I'll ask him exactly what kind they r when he gets back. My mom said that because he got them at VA, they're probably not the very best ones (I don't know why) but i do know my dad, and for whatever reason, he has always been spoiled and lazy, very selfish and uncaring of others. my mom says his mom spoiled him and he is never gonna change and i think she's right. dont get me wrong, i love my dad and there's nothing on here i wouldn't tell him to his face! we get along well. he just doesn't want to make any effort to make other people comfortable.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.