Hearing loss after tube placed in right ear

Posted , 5 users are following.

Yesterday I had an ENT physician place a tube in my right ear as an out patient procedure. This was a result of me complaining of constant pressure in my right ear and fullness. Before the procedure I had hearing loss and tinnitus, and I wear hearing aids in both ears. Immediately after the surgery I had significant hearing loss (worse than before the procedure), not just low frequencies but at all frequencies. Moreover, the fullness and pressure seems worse than before I had the tube put in. I was told this was due to the local anesthesia and the placement of the tube in my eardrum and it should go away in a few days. My questions are these: Today, the day after the tube was placed in my ear, I have no improvement in my hearing loss after the procedure and the fullness in my right ear persists:

1. When will this diminish? His many days?

2. Will my hearing in my ear return to where it was before the procedure and how long will it take?

3. If I choose to have the tube removed will my hearing be restored to what it was before the procedure? And how long will it take?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Dear Frank ,I'm getting to the point where my faith inthe medical profession is almost eroded.When talking to them about ETB they all appear not to really know about what to do ".It's perhaps this or you could try that or some people have found this to help"

One doctor actually came clean & told me that there is no treatment & no cure.I'm inclined to believe him.

I can answer your three questions

1.It might do

2Possibly

3.Suck it &see..

• Posted

Dear Frank ,I'm getting to the point where my faith inthe medical profession is almost eroded.When talking to them about ETB they all appear not to really know about what to do ".It's perhaps this or you could try that or some people have found this to help"

One doctor actually came clean & told me that there is no treatment & no cure.I'm inclined to believe him.

I can answer your three questions

1.It might do

2Possibly

3.Suck it &see..

• Posted

I'm sorry you are still having problems. I have talked to two ENT's about tubes and neither will do them unless there is chronic serous otitis media too.

I

• Posted

Morning Frank,  having suffered Eustachian Tube Dysfunction since the 1980's this problem for me is on-going.  Never been offered the tubes, was told by my ENT Consultant they don't make any difference and they fall out after about three months when the hole heal over.  So I personally can't comment on tubes.  Maybe someone else on this site will read your post and be able to advise.  I too suffer partial hearing loss and tinnitus.  Give it a week and if you find it worse or no different go back and see him.  Mediacation is the only thing that helps with my ears.  Being an allergy and sinus sufferer I'm sure causes my blocked ears.

Anne

• Posted

Hi Anne. Thx for your message. Yes, I'm waiting about 10 days to see (hear, ha ha ) what happens. I've already noticed a slight improvement in my hearing in my right ear over the past two days. Something else I've noticed is the "fullness" I sensed before has diminished which was the point of doing the tube in the first place. Good luck to you and take care.

• Posted

Hey Frank I just wanted to see how you were doing? How is your hearing ? Can you feel the tubes & Why did they do them?

Do you have ETD?

I'm going on for the balloon dialation soon and my doctor said tubes may be possible also.

Hope to talk to you soon & that your doing better. -missy

• Posted

Much better Missy. Thx. I had pressure in my right ear. The tube I do not feel. It has helped with the pressure but low frequency hearing is diminished as I was told before the procedure. That will return when the tube falls out. I hope your procedure goes well and it helps with your problem.
    • Posted

So glad frank!! Hope you continue to mend and 100% when the tube falls out.

Thanks for the well wishes I'm praying in resolves my ETD smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.