Hearing loss for 3 months

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone, I am currently looking for some advice. For the last 3 months now I have been suffering with hearing loss in my right ear, along with loud, very annoying tinnitus! Just recently got over the flu which I believe having a blocked nose made the hearing loss worse. Decided to get it checked last night and the out of hours doctor says there is no infection or wax, it's just red. I've always suffered with ear infections in the right ear which at one point got so bad it perforated..I do believe that I suffered hearing loss from that.

Anyone that can help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Dan

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Dan.  Have you had a hearing test (audiogram) that tells you the type of hearing loss you have?  If not, I suggest you ask your ENT to administer the test.  It can eliminate or confirm some specific problems....especially since you have tinnitus.  By the way, do you have ear fullness and or any vertigo?
    • Posted

Hi Tanney, Ive never been to see a ENT doctor, just a regular doctor today and she said as my right ear previously perforated she has put me on antibiotics, she said she doesnt usually put people on anti biotics but for me she will. she said leave it a couple of months and if its still blocked i will be given steroid nasal spray. I told her about the hearing problems in the family and she just noted it for now. Yeah my ear feels full but no vertigo.

Thank you for your reply its really helpful smile 

• Posted

Please seriously consider seeing an ENT, particularly since you have a perforated ear drum.  This can lead to serious complications.  ENT will very likely administer the audiogram and other tests that will confirm a diagnosis for what is causing your symptoms.  We wish you the very best of luck!  Hang in there.
    • Posted

What do you suggest I do? Do you think I should go back to the doctors and request the appointment with the ENT? Or wait the couple of months and then request it? I did an online hearing test, which I know probably isnt the same as going to the ENT and it said I have low moderate hearing loss. Maybe because of my tube being swollen? 

Thank you for your help :D 

• Posted

DO NOT WAIT!   Please see an ENT doctor as soon as possible.  If you can, choose one that specializes in the inner ear.

Good luck.

• Posted

Hi Dan, Sorry you are going through the misery of ear infections.  If your doctor has said no infection or wax it does look like you could have Eustachian Tube problems.  Lucky it is in only one ear.

I'll wait for Anne to pop up, as she is the expert, if she doesn't come on I'll post and copy her excellent story and recommendations.

Good luck to you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.