Hearing Loss, Tinnitus and Unbalanced feeling

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi All,

I had an ear infection over 3 weeks ago which causes severe dizziness and hearing loss. The dizziness went away after a few days but I still feel unbalanced however I feel that is improving. During the first week my ear was completely blocked and had no feeling and couldnt hear anything.

I got a hearing test and the audiologist said my hearing was profound loss. However since then I think my hearing has got better but not fully recovered. I saw an ENT they recommended I have a MRI which is soon. The last couple of weeks I have tinnitus which is really annoying me and I am worried. This is coming on to 4 weeks now. This started due to infection where my ear drum was inflamed after having a shower and during the night my ear got worse and worse.

I saw my GP said last week my eardrum is no longer red but is dull, what does this mean?

I am looking for advice and help with this. All comments will be appreciated highly as I am going through a very tough time as I am only 25.

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Amar,

I know how you are feeling. I developed tinnitus in December 2019, after a really bad migraine. I was diagnosed in 2015 with migraines and I tought that the timnitus is normal and will go away once the migraine is gone but no I still have it. Went to the GP and they reffered me to the ENT, they checked my hearing and it's normal, the only thing the doctor mentioned is that on my left ear the line on the audiogram don't match with the right ear, and I asked him why, and he said that we need to find out what is going on and sent me for an MRI scan with contrast, I don't want the contrast so I am hoping they will do it without as I read about the substance which they use for the contrast. Ear infections can last for long time, also it might be sinusitis too, when the airways get sore and dry, that can last for a long time. I am not a doctor but I can understand how frustrating it is with the tinnitus. Is your MRI witu contrast or without? The ent department they tend to send for MRI if they are not sure what's going on to see deeper in your ear if you have a middle ear or inner ear infections and of course to rule out any other complications, like tumors etc so it's good that you are having an MRI and they could give you the right treatment. When are you scheduled for the scan?

please keep me posted xx

• Edited

Hi Suzana,

Thank you so much for your reply. No its just a standard MRI as I haven't been told otherwise. I just want to know what the issue is.

The MRI was scheduled for tomorrow but it got cancelled as they had an issue with the machine. So it will get rearranged for another time.

Also how do you cope with tinnitus?

and I'll keep you posted. Thanks again!

• Edited

Hi Amar,

Thank you for your reply. My MRI is scheduled for the 24th of March to rule out any acoustic neuroma and other complications. The doctor said this is a benign tumor and it's very rare and the ENT send you for the MRI as they want to rule out that, also he told me that many of his patients have symptoms exactly like they have acoustic neuroma but the MRI come clean and instead they have sinus infection, ear infections etc... but this is the procedure to be on the safe side. With the tinnitus it's very hard to be honest, I am struggling. I have some sound tracks with rain falling, it's called "rain rain app" and when i turn those sounds on it's very nice as I don't hear the tinnitus anymore and I feel normal again 😃)... i also found out a forum which is great to share your experience with others in the same condition, it's tinnitus talk forum, another thing is to relive the tinnitus for a bit, I found this exercise which really helps, cover your ears with your palms side to side flat, separate your fingers, it's like you are trying to cover your head with the palms then tap the back head with the index finger, it going to sound like a drum tapping, while your ears are covered with the palms and tap 30-40 times gently and you will find this great... at least my timnitus is gone for a few minutes or when it's really bad and I can't cope with it I do this. Keep me posted. All the best xx

• Edited

I had those symptoms and in my case it was an acoustic neuroma. (proven by MRI)

They can see it with or without contrast but for some reason, neurosurgeons prefer to see it with.

• Edited

I had a very top-notch radiation procedure called "gamma knife" on June 29, 2018 and my most recent follow-up MRI (Jan. 2020) shows it was effective, the tumor is going away.

This forum has lots of experienced people re: neuromas.

Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

• Edited

my symptoms were initially much worse and have calmed down considerably. So I dont think its AN but the MRI should rule that out. I thinks its just a bad infection which is taking time clearing up (fingers crossed). What were your symptoms like? were they constant?

• Posted

Hi,

Did you have it through NHS? what where your synptomes? also did you have an MRI with contrast or without contrast?

many thanks

• Edited

The initial MRI was without and all the rest have been with.

I am in the States and have private (Blue Cross PPO) insurance, thus didn't use "Medicare" the U.S. version of NHS.

• Edited

Hi Suzana,

Went to my GP today got him to check my ear. He said my ear drum is still slightly red and is improving compared to 2 weeks ago. So hopefully once that clears up I should be ok

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. I am in the UK and I think they have this procedure in case they found an AN but my doctor said it's very rare and to not panic. Hope for the best now x

• Posted

Hi Amar,

That is fantastic news. I am sure it will clear up but give it time. One of my best friend had always problems with her right ear, infection after infection and it always took time to clear. My symptoms are only the tinnitus which is like the "purple noise" if you have a look on youtube and it's very loud in the evenings. I am not sure if is realeted with the sinus this tinnitus as I often have this headache between my brows, forhead, bridge of my nose and the nose itself also on my right cheek so I am hoping it's a really bad sinusitis and not AN 😦((....please keep me posted xx

• Posted

Hopefully all goes well and will keep you posted!

• Posted

Hi Sir, Just read discsn extremely helpful,

I am suffering from dizziness and head pain for last 05 days, On doctor advice, got referred to ENT, HE just gave me soda glycerin for 05 days fiw wax removal. NOW my right ear is completely closed with no dizziness any more, can somebody suggest how long ear remains closed due this glycerin

• Posted

Hi Sir, Just read discsn extremely helpful,

I am suffering from dizziness and head pain for last 05 days, On doctor advice, got referred to ENT, HE just gave me soda glycerin for 05 days fiw wax removal. NOW my right ear is completely closed with no dizziness any more, can somebody suggest how long ear remains closed due this glycerin

• Posted

Hi,

if this is wax, once this is removed it will be fine.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.