Hearing myself snore while asleep causing me to stay awake

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been diagnosed with mild anxiety disorder last february. I experience not being able to sleep well because of different symptoms of anxiety attack. But thankfully i am able to overcome it. Its like i got used to it. I didnt take any medicines. But lately, i experience anxiety again because i can hear myself snore which causes me to wake up and not being able to go back to sleep. Has anyone experienced this? If so, what have you done to overcome it? Its really uncomfortable for me.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

That is something you need to tll to your gp. And probably have a visit to a sleep apnea clinic. If its waking you its loud. You need to check that out.
  • Posted

Ayen

Yesyou can here yourself snore, it happens if you awake while snoring or if you are sitting in a seat and you go too sleep and your head goes forward and restriics your Breathing

BOB

• Posted

Thanks, yeah i think so especially when my head is either tilted or bowed down. I am already sleeping with my pillows elevated and it helps. Although sometimes its painful in the neck.
  • Posted

Hi Ayen,

Yes, that has happened to me.

I now use those plasters you put on your nose at night which open your nasal passages and stop you snoring, and you get a better night's sleep as well. Breathe-Right I think they are called. They really work for me.

Good luck - give it a try.

love Tess xx

• Posted

Thanks Tess. I dont know if we have that here in our country, Philippines. But i'll check on that. As of now I have a sore throat so i dont know if this contributes to what i am experiencing now which is hearing my own snore.

• Posted

Ayen, you can buy them on Amazon. Just put in Nasal Breathing Strips and  choose Better Breath strips. I got 100 for £8, which is MUCH cheaper than buying them in a pharmacy.

Good luck! They really work.

• Posted

And the sore throat may mean that your sinuses are blocked or infected, so go and see your doctor for treatment for this. Blocked sinuses definitely make people snore more.
    • Posted

thanks tess... I also noticed that this usually occurs to me every time my monthly period is nearly approaching. I think my hormones are the culprit. My panic attack will automaticlly switch on which makes me feel tired, helpless, depressed and negatives thoughts start to creep in. I just hope that I will learn how to manage it so I would not be anxious anymore. I really hate the feeling. 
  • Posted

Yes, i too experience the same thing. I tell my doctors, but they look at me like Im crazy when I tell them I can hear myself snore. Keeps me awake, with very little sleep.
    • Posted

Some of my family members especially my husband would tell me it's more of like a psychological thing. I guess they're right. I tend to anticipate that I might hear myself snore and true enough I could hear myself snore and keeps me awake and panic mode will automatically switch on which makes me feel tired and depressed. But I also noticed that this usually occurs before my monthly period. I guess the culprit is my hormones. I just hope I can learn how to manage my anxiety every time my hormones are at their peak level cause I really hate the feeling...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.