Hearing test all clear

Posted , 6 users are following.

Starting having dizzy spells September 2016 3 months off work ent told me possible meneires was on 8mg betahistine symptoms got worse up to 16mg went back to work no improvement then ent put me on 32mg x3 in March 2017 never looked back have had 2 ear fullness spells with last attack April 2017,gone back to eating normal drinking alcohol feel great at the moment,had hearing test today and got perfect earing both ears,do I still have meneires or think symptoms are going away 14 months later???

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Steve....that's great news, really hope you suffer no more attacks.

• Posted

Steve, when you went to the ENT the first time, did he/she do a hearing test?  Did it show that you had hearing loss in LOW decibel range?  If the answer is NO it is unlikely you had Meniere's Disease at all.  Complete hearing recovery after hearing loss from MD is extremely unusual.  Nevertheless....it's great to hear that you are feeling so much better on 96mg of Betahistine.

• Posted

Hiya Steve glad you are feeling better it could still be md mine was in remission for 15 years but I hope its not take care m8
  • Posted

Best way to look at this is to say you are in remission, as it is not possible to know or predict if it will come back. I had 21 months clear before the warning signs started to reappear so as advised I went straight back on my previous maximum dose of betahistine 48mg tds and then raised to 64 mg tds after about 6 weeks when I had a sudden dizzy attack. I could go to an even higher dose if required! Finally weaned off early September 2017 so my current 2nd remission period is 14 months with no problems apart from the residual tinnitus and 35% lower frequency hearing loss in left ear.

I agree with you about diet restrictions as I eat and drink (not a lot)  pretty much as normal.

There is great variability of experience with some suffering terribly and others doing very well. The statistics say that 70% of sufferers recover so fingers crossed.

• Posted

Have u been diagnosed with meneires?? I haven’t yet so fingers crossed it’s burnt whatever it was out,also helps when your ent doctor fantastic!!! The first one didn’t want to know the one I have now does!!!
    • Posted

I’ve got my next ent appointment in February I had a mri scan in August and all clear,it’s great feeling normal again without worrying when it will start again!!!
  • Posted

Thanks mate,I hope it’s end to it too I’m still taking my betahistine till told otherwise,cannot believe the difference in the last 6 or 7 months it’s unreal 
  • Posted

the only thing i can tell you is that i first got meneirs 5 years ago had for several months having had mri ct and ent scans earing was normal also ,but came back this year 2017 had it now for 4 months had same tests all normal so no joy there only thing is trial and error on meds ,hope you stay well they reckon sometimes it can just disappear and not come back ,try to keep stress free as this is major factor for bringing it on .
    • Posted

Are u taking bethastine?? I was on a low salt diet and was terrible,just think it makes no difference what u eat or drink if it happens it happens,it’s a terrible thing,hope u get better

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.