Hearing voices in my head and seeing things

Posted , 3 users are following.

Four years ago I was taking medication for voices in my head which was prescribed by a phycitrist. 2 years after I had to stop the medication as I was taking a pain killer pill called tramadol. October last year I stopped taking the pill as I no longer needed it and my voices in my head became worse and so did my anxiety. I was prescribed citalopram which made my condition worse and I went back to my gp and asked him if I can have my medication back the one that the phycitrist prescribed and he said no as the phycitrist can only prescribe it. I asked if he can refer me to the phycitrist again and he said that I didn't need medication. Later he agreed to do the referral and a month later I checked to see if they received a referral and they did but I was refused because they sent the referral to a learning disabilities phycitrist. The doctor was aware of this and instead of doing it to the main one he just didn't bother.

The voices in my head became worse and today I realised after looking on the symptoms for citalopram my condition was a side effect and I should stop the citalopram.

I complained about my symptoms to my doctor and he said continue with the citalopram and I asked him if he could change it and he said no because he said I had an addiction to prescription medications.

Leaving me really ill from my mental health illness. He wouldn't even prescribe something to help me sleep at night as since stopping the tramadol and my mental health getting worse I cannot sleep at all.

I think I was prescribed the wrong medication to help my condition and also refusing to change them to another medication because he classed me as an addict which I only took tramadol.

Do the doctors have the right to make there patients suffer? Do you think I have enough to put in a complaint against my GP. I also saw two other doctors as the same surgery and they also refused because my GP wrote on my records not to give me any sedatives.

Basically they agreed with my GP. My symptoms of hearing voices in my head and seeing things thats not there and my anxiety is getting worse but I am getting ignored by the doctors. Can anyone advice me on what I should do next please thank you.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Which Medication are you talking about ?
    • Posted

I don't see why your doctor could not reinstate that Medication again..that is the medicine you where inquiring about? because this antiphychotic med you where taking is meant for schizophrenia which is what you have.. schizophrenia is not curable .you need your meds to stop your hearing voices etc..celexa does not cause what you are describing..is the lack of your flupenxial that's causing your troubles..

• Posted

I don't see why your doctor could not reinstate that Medication again..that is the medicine you where inquiring about? because this antiphychotic med you where taking is meant for schizophrenia which is what you have.. schizophrenia is not curable .you need your meds to stop your hearing voices etc..celexa does not cause what you are describing..is the lack of your flupenxial that's causing your troubles..

• Posted

Iam not a doctor but what you are describing sounds like schizophrenia..
    • Posted

Thank you for replying u have been helpful. I explained to three doctors about having the flupenxial back and all three refused and told me to stay on citalopram which makes my condition worse they are just ignoring me.
    • Posted

I looked on the side effects for citalopram and on the uncommon side effects it says hallucinations as a side effect so this could be making my condition worse right
    • Posted

Hullicinations with celexa does exist and been that you had these symptoms before celexa means that you need your antiphychotic Medication back in your life. not celexa . Celexa is not for schizophrenia..and yes the celexa might be magnifying your schizophrenia ...
    • Posted

Yea I know see they new I was hearing voices and seeing things that are not there and they continued to tell me I have to stay on citalopram which is making me worse. I think they would know the side effects of citalopram and my condition which I have had a while but they decided to ignore that. I put it down to they prescribed citalopram which is the wrong medication in result I have suffered so is it down to neglegance so do you think I have a right to complain about my GP for neglegance.
  • Posted

Hi. Sorry to hear that you are having problems with your GP. Am I right in assuming you are in the UK? If so you have several options depending on what health authority you come under. You can self refer to a mental health team, or go to your local A and E department who will pass you in to the hospital mental health team, you can go on to the NHS website and find another GP in your area with a good star feedback rating and register with them and if you feel strongly enough about your treatment at the GP surgery you belong to you can contact the GMC and put in a complaint about your treatment, they will investigate this and let you know the outcome, it is not a quick process but they are not basis. It may be true about your previous medication, there are some that GP's are not allowed to prescribe and can only be given to patients via hospitals or mental health teams. I hope this helps some what and your suffering will ease.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.