Heart attack and stroke

Posted , 4 users are following.

My mother has has a heart attack and a mild atroke. My questions are how do people deal with not tasting their food because of the heart medication? Has anyone found a way around it? My poor mother is not eating hardly anything as she has an aversion to food now, she can only taste sweet foods, i read this was normal.

My mother has had false teeth for 40 odd years and they have never bothered her until she had her stroke, has anyone else experienced this? She says it feels like there are two bits of plastic in her mouth that shouldnt be there. Also a weird thing is she has these 'episodes' as i call them where she doesnt act normally, has trouble doing things and rants and raves at me...the question is i know when it is going to happen as the bit underneath her lip goes kind of swollen looking, has anyone experienced this? I am worried sick about her really.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

i suffered a stroke plus more recentlly a heart attack. Your mother is going to have good & bad days. Understanding what she's going through is no mean feat. 

It must be harder to understand what our loved ones are feeling when bad days happen. Emotions & feelings that normaly run their course that start as trivial tend to end up being thoughts of confusion & miss understanding. Leading up to my stroke the one day i had to visualize myself doing something as simple as opening a door to be able to carry out the actions.

To many emotions that all add up to what is a frightened person not being able to work out why other people are what seems to be actions of being pushed in directions other than the direction the person feels he or she wants to go in.

Times been a great healer & it is only now i can understand what i must of been like. 

I hope this tries to help with understanding the insight to how others may feel, but more so i whish you all the strength in coping. Love will always win & when the chips are down a simple hug will always let your loved one know you are there for them. neutral  

• Posted

I haven't experienced these symptoms but strongly suggest you talk to your Stroke Consultant. 
    • Posted

Thats the thing Pauline, she was send home the day she had the mild Stroke and has had no help since. No offers of help even when i used to take her to the doctors/hospital when i was worried sick about what was happening to her. She has no stroke nurse, consultant, anything. She has a heart rehab woman but not stroke.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.