Heart attack possible at 26?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello everyone,

I'm hoping you can help me.

For about 2 weeks, I have had the feeling of angina almost daily. It's usually when I do anything that requires even minimal effort, such as walking for 5 minutes. Once the feeling shows up it can last for quite some time.

I'm 26, female, never smoked cigarettes, thin (about 105 pounds) and I try to eat healthy although I do some unhealthy snacking here and there. My only risk factor is that I'm quite sedentary. I haven't exercised in years.

As of right now, the only diagnosis I have is SVT, which I get horrible episodes of, maybe a few times per year.

The feeling I get isn't really painful, it's more of a heaviness like something is on my chest compressing it. I also get this uncomfortable pressure in my back and down my left arm along with getting sweaty, nauseous and dizzy quite frequently.

I went to the emergency room with this feeling twice this month.

The first time they said my ekg and blood test is perfect, and sent me home with "anxiety". The second time I watched my ekg print out and at the top it said "possible minor ischemia." I questioned the doctor about it and he said "the ekg isn't always right and there is nothing wrong with my heart." Again I was sent home and told to follow up with my GP.

I live in constant fear that I'm gonna just drop dead. The chest pressure and dizziness makes me so worried I've been missing work and confined to my house. It seems doctors are not taking me seriously because I'm young and don't have the risk factors, but certainly there has to be something causing these symptoms...

I have had horrible palpitations for years but this type of recurrent chest pain is new to me.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

where about is the heavy feeling on your chest? Do you get any issues with breathing?

• Posted

Hi

Is it a feeling that just comes from nowhere/out of the blue? have you been prescribed a nitromin sublingual spray ? if not ask for one and try it 2 puffs of spray under the tongue and the discomfort should subside and if it does i would say that you do have angina

Regards

F

• Posted

It's at the top of my chest (higher than breasts) in the center mostly. I do feel quite tired easily, but no heavy breathing or anything like that.

• Posted

I don't have any sprays. Like I've said it seems like they've completely written off the possibility of me having a heart problem.

I am on a beta blocker however to control the tachycardia.

• Posted

If the pain is higher than breasts it maybe an upper gi problem. Do you get acid reflux? Is the pain and palpitations affected by eating or not eating?

• Posted

I do have chronic bloating from IBS, and I noticed I am prone to experiencing arrhythmia when I'm particularly bloated. However I've dealt with this bloating for several years without this type of pain involved.

I saw my doctor today and got results from a blood test and apparently I have slightly elevated potassium levels.

The normal range is no higher than 5.0 and mine is 5.2. Higher than normal levels of potassium have all sorts of nasty cardiac effects so I'm wondering if this could have anything to do with it...

On a strictly no potassium diet starting from today.

• Posted

Forgot to mention, when I went to the doctor today, she also gave me a report of my EKG at the emergency room. It says "abnormal EKG: ST and T wave abnormality"

Does anyone know what this means?! I wonder why I was never told about this and sent home.

• Posted

the raised potassium levels could be down to the beta blockers. There is a possibility you could have oesophagitis, have you ever had an endoscopy? The bloating could be gastritis.

• Posted

Why don't you speak with your cardiologist about this SVT arrhythmia on first place?

• Posted

hi is anyone on this post avalible ive got similar symtons to this girl i e had it around 3 nights in a row its worse when i lay down

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.