heart attack vs panic attack

Posted , 3 users are following.

Just wondered if anyone worries like i do I constantly get a feae of having a heart attack due to the constant chest pains i feel. Sometimes it's sharp and stabbing other times  it feels like a build up of pressure followed by a sharp pain or a big thud in chest. Obviously I've enended up being ok as this has happened many many times now but I start wondering if it's a build up to a heart attack. I can't get over that such real severe pains can just be panic and anxiety 

please I would be grateful for some feedback 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

YeaH i am always having this fear about heart attack, bcoz of the chest pain it makes me really anxious but i have observed this that when i start getting worried makes it worse sad
  • Posted

Sharp stabbing pains are not a heart attack! Have you talked it through with your GP?

• Posted

Yes of course, it's not always sharp stabbing pains. One day it can be that. Other days it just feel like a constant pressure. Others it feels like my hearts skipping/thudding. It changes day to day. I do know deep down its anxiety related but when the anxiety and panic sets in it sets my mind off thinking all sorts like it did last night when i posted this and it helps to just get advice to try and help feel reassured.
  • Posted

Has your GP given any advice about how to manage the symptoms? Try going on Caffeine free for a month (avoid tea coffee, coke, energy drinks. Do you smoke, have you had a thyroid function test (over active thyroid can cause palpitations and agitations)? You don't say how old you are or whether you have any other risk factors like cholesterol, family history or diabetes.
    • Posted

Some breathing exercises mostly and to try and distract myself with a book or a puzzle when the symptoms start. Also to write my feelings and symptoms down to see if there is a pattern. I don't smoke or drink coffee or fizzy drinks, I don't have the best diet but im working on that. I'm 28, when I was last in hospital they said my cholesterol was slightly high but nothing to be too concerned about. My father has had a heart attack.
  • Posted

How old was your dad when he had his first heart attack? You did not say if you had your thyroid function checked. Hyperthyroidism can make you feel agitated and give fast heart and sweating and usually weight loss. Excel it's can be a good release for tense feelings as well, by which I mean a fast walk or something similar which anyone can do.
    • Posted

My dad was 61 with his first heart attack. I've not had my thyroid function checked, but the symptoms sound in line with how I feel. I will look into that. Thank you I will give it a try
  • Posted

Predictive typing changed 'exercise' to excel!

neutral

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.