Heart condition or anxiety

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am 34 years old, Can anyone help me as I am quite scared at the moment, I get a lot of anxiety but have been noticing a lot of sinky heart missed beats when I take a deep breath to relax that amplifies at the top of my breath, I have had ecgs, 24 hour monitor, blood test and a chest scan and all have came back clear, also I can sense by the feeling in my chest that it is more likely to happen when I take the breath.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

You have had ECG's, Holter Monitor for 24 hours, blood test and a CT scan which all came back clear which is good news so be happy about that. If you are honestly still concerned about your heart then you can always get an Echocardiogram done which is just simply put an ultrasound of your heart and it will show whether or not you have a structural issues with your heart but if your doctor does not see a need for it then I would personally feel it is not necessary. You have to understand that throughout our lifetime our heart will always at times skip a beat or flutter which believe it or not is normal. It may feel weird or be uncomfortable but it is normal and nothing to be concerned about. If your 24 hour holter monitor didn't pick up anything serious then I would not worry about it but you can always look into getting a 48 hour one or even one that you can wear for a month. That is up to you but I don't see it why it would be necessary unless your get palpations throughout the day that cause you get really dizzy, weak, nauseous and sometimes even cause you to faint. If those symptoms happened especially if you had more than one then I would definitely look into arrhythmia issues but I doubt you have any of those and usually arrhythmia issues last for a few seconds and rarely last for minutes on end. 

• Posted

Sorry I meant the quick ecg also a chest scan, I notice 5 in 10 times it goes funny when I breathe in and happens as if the heart goes squishy and usually I back off from a proper breath, I had a 24 ecg 4 years ago but not for this problem but for slightly mist beat's, I think there's something new wrong and cardiologist says it's me and would not let me have a 24 ecg as he says your blood test is OK and in the scan heart looks fine, don't know whether to buy one myself or would it make me go mad owning one ?

• Posted

Jason, I have also had that skipped heart beat feeling many times over the years with anxiety.  It’s harmless when due to anxiety.

What helped me a lot is learning the proper breathing technique to gain control over anxiety and to have a more even heart rate. 

Go to you tube and search for Mindfulness breathing Guided meditation 10 minutes.

Do this in a quiet area where you can relax.

It calms down my mind and body and symptoms.

Many to choose from.  

Theres also many Audios for anxiety, depression, sleep,etc 

Check them out!

Remember, your tests were clear, and anxiety can produce hundreds of symptoms that are harmless. 

Its a matter of you having control instead of the anxiety. 

When you get anxious about the symptoms, the symptoms get worse.

So keep a calm attitude knowing it will pass.  Many symptoms are caused by adrenaline the brain sends out in response to anxiety and it will eventually wear off.

You are gonna be fine 😁??

• Posted

Sorry I meant the quick ecg also a chest scan, I notice 5 in 10 times it goes funny when I breathe in and happens as if the heart goes squishy and usually I back off from a proper breath, I had a 24 ecg 4 years ago but not for this problem but for slightly mist beat's, I think there's something new wrong and cardiologist says it's me and would not let me have a 24 ecg as he says your blood test is OK and in the scan heart looks fine, don't know whether to buy one myself or would it make me go mad owning one ?

• Posted

You would probably become way more anxious if you owned one because you would constantly be checking it. That would increase your anxiety and symptoms. The doctor most likely checked your cardiac enzymes with the blood test and they were fine. If something was wrong, the enzymes would be off.You can always get a second opinion with another doctor. But I would say in the meantime, try to reduce your anxiety and be consistent. You may just find that  it relaxes everything and your heart beat feels more normal. The cardiologists are very familiar with your symptoms and see this every day,

they’ve been doing this for a very long time and know when to follow up on something. Start listening to the relaxing meditations and proper breathing. Get your mind focused on other things and if you’re really anxious about things in your life, get some counseling because they can help you reduce your anxiety.  

• Posted

Sounds logical, but what would a doctor do or cardiologist if a anxiety sufferer develop a heart condition, wouldn't they just say it's anxiety as always causing it?as I've had anxiety and panic attacks over the years so I'm guessing that's why they won't give me the 24 hours ecg, I was waiting 3 months for the 24 ecg and couldn't wait to show them the thing I was on about but couldn't believe it when he said you don't need one after waiting that long and have felt really on edge that there's nothing no matter what I can do about it, I constantly think how can I get one as I know it beats different to how it used to beat over 12 months ago?

• Posted

Hi Jason, for what I understand it might be similar to what I feel as well. And also I've done same exams which had identified no problem. Of course you should continue to seek diagnosis and treatment. In my situation I found it is totally related to the anxiety. And deep breaths only make it worst, because the bretathing should be in order to makes us focus on smthg else and as it does not in my case, I amplify the anxiety and let it take over me. Also, the meds I am taking for the numbness and trembling (Inderal) are very addictive and develop more of those symptoms. Could you be medicated with smthg that is addictive?

Take good care!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.