Heart disease

Posted , 1 user is following.

I have a family member that is paranoid about developing heart disease at a very young age, despite not being a smoker and not being largely overweight and having no immediate family risk factors!

They think this because they describe feeling typical textbook angina-like symptoms when they get worked up after an argument or when doing a stressful task (hoovering a car out, putting a flat pack furniture together).

The relative is only 29, a non smoker, weighs around 85kgs and is a moderate drinker with absolutely zero immediate family heart disease. Because of the paranoia, the relative has had in excess of 35 ECG tracings at random intervals and a stress test on the treadmill and an echocardiogram. All the tests were normal BUT being in the medical field myself I do know that the only way of visualising the arteries is with a contrast CT or an angiogram.

Is there any wisdom you guys can give to help them relax a little about it all? Of course NOTHING is impossible in life and I'm sure there has been previous cases in the world where heart disease has been misdiagnosed BUT I would like to think in that very, very small group of unfortunate people they would not have been so focused on the heart as my relative and were CERTAINLY unlikely to have had so many random ECG tests .. therfor making early detection impossible for them.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.