Heart eschemia

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all i have been diagnosed with heart eschemia and dilated cardiomyopathy.i am about 40kg overweight.what can i do to get in better shape and what will help for the above conditions.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Ok I know about this, husband has dilated cardiomyopathy, is overweight, his ejection fraction was 23%, but has improved to 45%, maybe decreased a little bit, the last few weeks, or maybe a virus again.

?You must get control of your weight for a start, get a good dietian, or join a diet club, we are in Australia and have joined our local Weight Reduction club, its a volunteer club, and small a small fee each week you weigh in and they are a fun bunch, if you lose weight you get rewarded, sometimes just a sticker on your card, other times with a free visit, can recommend them, husband and I have done well with this club, its all in the motivation and continuing motivation to lose that weight, also seeing others doing soooo well losing weight.

?Get moving, husband when he first came home from hospital needed help to go to toilet, could not walk the distance from lounge room chair to toilet.

?I insisted he walk and repeat it multtple times, chair halfway up the hall to the toilet, and another chair at the front door, once he could do that put a chair at the front door, made him walk to that, for morning tea, lunch, afternoon tea, dinner, and once before bed.

?Then moved chair to letter box, about 15 steps, outside, about a week later, exhausted flopped into that chair, rested, and returned to lounge room, again same about 5 times a day.

?Then moved chair to neighbours letter box, same again, more and more steps, each change about once a week, worked out with neighbours where we could put his chair, and everybody kept an eye out for him as they got to know what the walking was all about, by 18 months Dr's amazed his ejection fraction had gone from 23% to 51%, which is much closer to normal, and walking about 5 km a day.

?Unfortunately his branch bundle nerves failed, both left which was already sick and then right branch bundle failed, had been on the blink for a while but not recognised, heart beat 30BPM, after a battle with the junior staff at the heart hospital, we saw the consultant who recognised what was going on, and installed a pacemaker, much improved, so much so went back to walking again, but had to start off slowly and build up to his regular distance again.

?Today he is out beekeeping with his regular club members, has to pace himself, a little bit, and take a break if he pushes to hard,  we are just north of the commonwealth games venue, so if you are watching all the goings on there, you know where we are, and what the weather is like.

• Posted

Hi Lynn thanks very much for the reply.i am from south africa.i use to walk a lot.and then about 4 years back i lost my job.and for the next 3 years i havent done any exercise and started getting heart problems.i have picked up weight which is not good.i also want to start walking and eating right.but the chest pains scare me and causes anxiety which in return is not good for the heart again
    • Posted

What i forget to mention with heart failure, you must cut out as much salt from your diet as you can manage.

?Also get a kids school exercise book, and record your weight every morning after toileting, but still not dressed, once you get into the habit it becomes second nature, and write it in the book.

?Get yourself a small Omron or the like at the chemist's, blood pressure and heartbeat monitor, ask you Dr what your normal readings should be, write that down in your exercise book, you do not have to do this every day, but if you are off colour, or have a lot of ankle swelling its a good idea to add to you weight reading what your blood pressure is and heartbeat, just like a nurse would if you were in hospital.

?If you weight changes by 2 kilos suddenly you must take your book to the hospital or Dr with you, show them the changes, they have photocopied husbands book a number of times and admitted him for the same monitoring I have been doing at home, with addition of halter monitor to their hospital system incase something worse happens during the night. ie my previous story about his heartbeat at 30BPM at home, which triggered me to take him to the hospital post haste, his weight had also changed suddenly, almost overnight, fluid retention, always need to keep ontop of those changes.

?Walking as I said previously, SLOWLY SLOWLY, with just a little more every few days.

• Posted

I'll get right to the point; eat less and move more, ie., get into the habit of walking if you're not already predisposed to that form of exercise.  I have serious pulmonary and cardiac issues, yet I move everyday.  Even with heart failure, my cardiologist always inquires every three months as to whether or not I'm exercising.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.