Heart failure exercise

Posted , 4 users are following.

If someone with a normal heart can develop a superhuman cardiovascular system with massive amounts of exercise and training, then wouldn't it stand to reason that someone with heart failure could develop a relatively normal cardiovascular system with massive amounts of exercise and training?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Very interesting! Do you have heart failure?
    • Posted

Relatively certain that I do. I have all the symptoms including dyspnea, orthopnea and most notably severely reduced exercise tolerance. I find out for sure from an echocardiogram tomorrow.
    • Posted

Wow so my story is somewhat complicated, but I am pretty certain I have it too although my cardiologist dismessed it as anxiety after seeing on chart I have a history of it.

Here are my symptoms and tests I have done.

Pain in left chest that goes behind left shoulder blade

Swelling of ankles feet and lower legs

Tachycardia

Loss of muscles and body fat BUT weight gain of 10 pounds, distended abdominim

Fluid retention?

Chronic cough with phlegm

Tests:

EKG normal

Echo: normal ejection rate, aeortic insufficient (small)

Abnormal stress test because of pain while doing it

Sooo my doctor doesn't think I have it because of normal ejection rate but guess what I phoned another cardiologist and told me you could still have a heart failure even though your heart ejection rate is NORMAL! Heart failure is diagnosed on symptoms. I don't have swelling every day but I still think I have a failure. I'm certain second opinion is in order! Especially because of cough, loss of body mass with increase in water weight, pain in chest , and so on. What are your symptoms? Please let me know how your echo goes, but remember you could still have heart failure with the normal echo.

• Posted

No, it wouldn't stand to reason, because someone with any degree of heart fialure no longer has a normal heart.  It would be downright dangerous to undertake "massive" amounts of exercise, however, exercise is not discouraged, in fact under a physician's

care it is encouraged.  I exercise a little everyday, but 

• Posted

Sorry forgot to finish my train  of thougt.  I exercise everyday a little, but I'm also mindful not to overdue.  I don't want to end up in the ER

• Posted

Husband has quiet serious heart failure 23 % ejection fraction with left branch bundle block.

When he left he hospital with the comment, we can do no more for him here, he could not walk across the room, struggled to get from the bed to the toilet without help.

I started a walking regiem, lounge room chair to chair at the front door, about 10-12 steps, for a week, or more, then moved the chair to the front of the property near the letter box, same procedure, walk to the chair, take a break, catch breath, and return to lounge room chair, slowly slowly he increased weekly his distance, so by about 18 months he was walking 5 - 7 klms or about 3 miles, amazing that his ejection fraction returned to high 40's.

Dr's in check up emplhazed that he must not get to breathless, you really really have to pace yourself, but not just walking, some weights for arms, even pegging washing a good exercise and not to heavy.

Then he started going down hill, health wise, got more and more breathless, Dr's dismissed my concerns, until he collapsed at home last April, his heartbeat was 30. blood pressure normal.

Dr's at the heart hospital asked me did he have pain, yes I replied just as I have told you for the last 18 months, left bicep pain, and more breathless. Rotator cuff, no already checked out, arthirits of shoulder, No already checked out, torn muslce in arm, NO, already checked out, so then it has to be a pinched nerve in his neck, at that point I lost it and told him what I thought, and it wasn't very polite, suggested he go to medical school. We ended up in the shouting match nose to nose.

While I was still ranting that they do something, the senior cardiologist walked past, skidded to a halt as he looked into the cubicle, and asked what was going on, I was so angry by that time I gave him a piece of my mind as well, I have never seen somebody get so angry, his eyebrows came together, and eyes went black, he spun on his heel and ordered the junior Dr's to his office immediatley, came back some time later which was a surprise and told me I was right.

Husband had developed 100% branch bundle block, so both left and right side were not getting their electrical jolt to make the heart beat correctly, 3 lead pacemaker and de-fib installed, and he said afterwards he could breathe, first comment, then he started peeing, 2 -3 kilos of fluid in the next twelve hours.

Has since started walking again, up to about 3 klms, slowly, and taking a rest when he gets breathless, 

Seeing heart Dr's in august again, suspect he will have an echo, will be interesting to see where his EF is, pacemaker check-ups, all is very well, and the pacemaker clinic Dr's happy with the results.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.