heart flutters and anxiety

Posted , 10 users are following.

hI i post on here from time to time and join in discussions.   it helps to discuss .  i had heart flutters y day which resulted in going to a and e as pulse of 100 saw my gp who refered as wanted me to have tests.  after spending 7 hrs there ecg and bloods all ok but have to wait for heart monitor halter, thats good but am still so worried, it was frightening being in hospital and left alone a lot.  my heart was racing worse and boy i was struggling to breath sometimes while trying to keep a lid on it all, so not to draw attention.  i dont understand how anxiety can make you feel so ill.  just going out scares me and i cant go far from home for fear or collapse or heart probls.  any ideas, i really am trying.  thanks so much debi

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Hello debi62095 i really feel for you i was the exact same as you a few years back and i didnt have a clue it was down to peri i spent many hrs in hospital having bloods,ecg,heart scan etc which all came back normal yet not one of the medical professions even suggested it could be down to peri,it was actually my sister in law who told me she thought it could be peri and lo and behold came across this forum and so glad i did.I thought i was the only one going slowly insane but all my symptoms are what these ladies are feeling we all deserve a medal for putting up with this.My symptoms have eased to what they were a few years back but just to let you know there is light at the end of the tunnel honestly.I still get bad days now but i feel able to keep more in control now.Take care Debbie xx
  • Posted

Heart palos. are all part of peri. I found the less I worry about my weird symptoms and staying away from the ER and drs. made me less anxious. You need something else to occupy your mind and eventually the anxiety and heart oslps will ease up. Just breathe normal, meditate, go for a trsnwuik walk, the movies - anything that hrlps relax and ease your mind. Don't let peti. control you.
    • Posted

Sorry I'm a bad typist on my phone. I meant dont let peri symptoms control you.
  • Posted

Hi Debi62095,

I have that same issue. I've been in the ER and hospital a million times with numerous EKG's Echo's, blood test you name it I had it. All came back fine. I was tired of them telling me i was fine and talk to a psych for anxiety that is common in women my age (38). I was pretty angry. Like the other Debbie (hi Debbie), no one ever mentioned that it could be peri or hormone related. My aunt came to see me while I was at the ER and told me that my symptoms were classic peri. I looked into it and I couldn't believe it. I found this forum and couldn't belive there was someone out there going through the same thing. I was starting to feel alone and withdrawn cause no one seemed to understand. Now when it happens I try to deep breathe and tell myself I'm ok. Wish there was more I could tell you. One thing I can tell you is you are not alone, it is a hormonal deal and it won't last forever.

• Posted

Hi debi,

I had a day much like the one you have described. I call it my worst day.

Now if I get a day anything like that I just talk myself out of the panic by telling myself. This isn't as bad as your worst day and everything was fine then.

I will also take some magnesium (it's good for the heart) or have a bath in some Epsom salts. Then a bit of deep breathing. I tried mediating but I've found that being still and quiet makes me more aware of it. So after my bath I will try and find something that occupies my mind (maybe reading the paper or one of these meno sites) but not anything too exciting that will get my pulse going.

I also don't go to bed if I'm feeling that way as again when it's all quiet and nothing to do I can't help but fixate on what's wrong with me.

• Posted

Good suggestions Zigangie. I try to find things to do to occupy myself as well. I read, do puzzle games. I've even bought some adult coloring books. I find that when i'm not occupied, I'm too aware of the symptoms which makes my anxiety even worse. I do have some magnesium I'm going to try. What does the magnesium help with?
    • Posted

Hi Jamie,

It relaxes muscles is good for your heart. Also good for bones and teeth and insomnia.

You can either take it as a supplement but can also absorb it through your skin by bathing in a cupful of Epsom salts.

You can buy it very cheaply in a big box at a garden centre because plants love it too (only use it in the bath) if you want to ingest it get pharmaceutical grade from a chemist. The pack you get there is much smaller though so you wouldn't get too many baths out of it.

• Posted

Ok great and thanks for the info. I have some magnesium tablets but I never tried them. But I certainly will try them. I'm feeling really not right today but trying to ignore it. But it's taking a toll on me today.
  • Posted

Hi Debi,

I certainly do empathize with you.  I'm 54 and one of those women who are late in their menopause.  I'm still waiting for that 1 year anniversary of my last period.  After having a hysterectomy 2 months ago but ovaries left in I still get the hormonal fluctuations etc.   I too suffered from the heart palpitations with accompanying anxiety etc.  I had 3 trips to the ER in a 2 month period this past September and October, one of which I was sure it was a heart attack and the others I was so lightheaded and dizzy.  Blood work, ekg, chest X-ray, heart ultrasound, spending 24 hours on heart monitor in hospital.....all normal.  I've learned to accept this as part of the menopause rollercoaster and when I feel it coming on do relaxation exercises and deep breathing.  Having the reassurance that heart is ok really helps.  I too was afraid to go out too far from home or to drive anywhere myself and was keeping pretty housebound.  Anxiety is a terrible thing but when you can know that physically all is well with you I hope that you can find a way to manage it.  Take care!

• Posted

I have chest pain, lt arm pain, pain in my jaw, trouble breathing.... classic signs of heart attack when I have panic attacks. NO ANXIETY, yet, then I start worrying, is this a heart attack or panic attack? So, THEN I have anxiety and decide go to ER. First time I was kept for 3 days of tests to see if I had a heart attack. Well, after the 3 days 2 docs came in the rm and told me to hyperventilate, my arteries go into spasms when that happens, soooo chest pain! Now, I had gone off the benzoes for this due to expense, started w panic attacks again. Nurse in ER told me a man came in 3 days in a row w same thing as me, then on 4th day he had a bad heart attack and was not doing good. Sooo, I went back on the hated benzoes. Anxiety is weird, it's like we are in flight or fight, but no immediate danger! My advise to you is to see the cardiologists or whoever, and also add a psych doc. Low dose of benzoes might be the ticket. I know, I sure did not want to take them!! I refused, and that's when I get that heart attack or panic attack?? Do what you have to, and get your docs to cover all basesl.
  • Posted

Debi, I really think the hospital enviornment especially the E.R and the very, very long time you spend there contributes to the anxiety, I realize there is nothing they can do about it, but it makes it so much worse. I am happy that all is ok for you, I feel for you, I was in their last summer for 5 hours. 
    • Posted

thanks, did you get all clear, what worries me is that apparently ECG doesnt pick up  any heart defects AND time waiting inbetween, i have to wait for monitor that could take weeks, so worry never ends , oh wel keep on going i guess!
    • Posted

Yes apparently that's true. They didn't find my PWW until I had an ecg during an episode. Also doesn't show up on any I've had since.
    • Posted

Sorry it's wpw. Wolf parkinson white syndrome. You are born with it. An extra electrical circuit in your heart I've only had it bad 3 times first when I was 16 then around 30 and again early peri.

Heart rate of 200 + per minute. You get sort of breath and a feeling similar to the meno ones but stronger kind of otherworldly head space feel faint have to lay down.

Very much like the meno stuff but much more pronounced. It normally puts itself right after laying down for a while.

Last time happened in the queue at the supermarket. It carried on all afternoon. I got an emergency appointment with a doctor who did an ecg. Which showed the problem. They have done one once a year since but it doesn't show up when I'm OK.

With the meno palpitations my heart rate will go up but no more than 110 and I generally carry on with what I'm doing instead of getting to bed as fast as I can.

Sorry if I worried you, I'd just written about it earlier but it was on a different thread.

• Posted

its ok . its just that i m sure i have this and when i saw this i thought my goodness its something very  sinister and im gonna drop dead you understand, as waiting for further heart tests worrying time.  mine is electrical apparently so i assumeing its that. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.