Heart Meds and Brain Fog

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hello forum.

Keen to get some views...

52/M/UK. Heart attack aged 45 in May 2015 (out of the blue). Single stent fitted. Low ejection fraction (left ventricular heart failure) but this gradually recovered.

Current heart meds (all taken around 9-10pm):

• 75mg aspirin
  • 16mg candesartan
  • 80mg atorvastatin
  • 10mg bisoprolol
  • 50mg eplerenone

I have terrible problems with brain fog. Always worst when I wake up. I feel confused, drowsy, clumsy (I shuffle when I walk), can't think straight, can barely talk. The world seems like I'm experiencing it through a veil. Often so debilitating that I just lie awake in bed for hours.

It usually starts to improve in the afternoon and sometimes by the evening I feel "normal" again. Often a vague dull sense of head pressure.

Occasional vague muscle aches/stiffness for no particular reason, but it's not severe.

I don't sleep very well, but on those occasions when I do get a good night's sleep, I still feel awful the next day.

Tested for sleep apnoea (which might do a good job of explaining my symptoms) 3 times - all negative. I rarely snore.

Diagnosed with depression/anxiety - and I think this could well be an incorrect diagnosis. I don't feel depressed, I just feel ILL. My mood is not that bad most of the time, except that I'm thoroughly fed up of feeling this way. And I know what anxiety feels like - and this isn't it.

Resting pulse about 65, BP approx 105/70. Periodic blood tests show nothing unusual. Cholesterol 3.2 in UK units (124 in US units?).

Does anyone with any experience of these meds know if there's any one of them that might be causing all of this? I think I can rule out the aspirin (it's a tiny dose) and candesartan (because these symptoms appeared before I started taking it - it replaced ramipril which I couldn't tolerate).

Thanks

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.