Heart Murmur With Complete Heart Block

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi there,

My son (ages nearly 4) has a complete heart block and is due to be paced within the next few weeks.

I'm slightly concerned about the consultant though for a couple of reasons. 1: He has been diagnosed as having a heart murmur by other doctors over the last few months, whereas his consultant stated in his latest examination that there was no murmur. Can murmurs come and go that quickly? I know they can come and go within a persons lifetime, but within such a short space of time?

Also, the cause of my sons heart block is unknown. I had a tick bite that was removed very carelessly just before getting pregnant with my son, and have never been tested for Lyme Disease. I know this can pass through the placenta, and can cause heart block. Having mentioned this to my consultant, I believe I have been fobbed off with the excuse that antibiotics wouldn't do any good at this stage, whereas all over the internet there are cases of antibiotics reversing the effects even after a pacemaker has been fitted!

Any advice is HEARTILY welcomed!

Thanks,

Emma

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hello Jambermush, First of all I am sorry your going through this. Obviously I am no doctor, but am a heart patient.

I was born with a heart murmur, and yes it's possible to outgrow a murmur, so they say, but mine at age 52 finally caused my Aortic valve to wear out, in which I had replaced in 2007 with a cow valve.

Millions of people are born with murmurs, and many have no problems. I wish your son nothing but the best. A persons child is the number one love and concern in a parents life.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply.

My son hasn't outgrown his murmur though - a Dr diagnosed it, then a few weeks after his consultant stated there was no murmur, then another Dr a couple of weeks after that diagnosed a murmur again, so has it come and gone then come back again all within a couple of months, or was his consultant wrong?

• Posted

I see your point. I remember going to several different Doctors in my youth, and my mom would always ask, Do you hear a heart murmur? Occasionally a Dr. Would tell my mom that they couldn't hear one, then a different Dr. Would say that they could hear one. Finally when a couple of Doctors said they didnt hear one, my mom took their word that I had possibly outgrown it. all these findings we're based on listening to my heart through a stethoscope.

Finally, years later with my first real heart test, EKG, Echos, and Arteriagram, was it revealed that I did have a murmur.

I assume your son has been through a whole battery of test?

• Posted

Yes he's had EKG's Holters, Echos etc but it worries me that it was the paediatric cardiologist that appears to have missed it, whereas the others weren't cardiologists
    • Posted

Wow, I totally understand your worry, well I assume that someone's wrong.

You may not get any relief until you have him checked out by someone different.

I always wandered why some Doctors would hear my murmur and some would not, but my first guess is I would more depend on the Pediatric Cardioligist word over a GP, however if your still in doubt, I would question the Cardioligist more about it or get another opinion.

Technology has came along way, and in most cases, especially in the heart, whatever is going on, they will find it with the right test.

I have basically lived an extra decade because of modern technology.

I wish you and your son all the best and I thing this matter will be resolved.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.