Heart palpitation since 3 Years on and off

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello, I want to make this as short as possible, because there is a lot to say 😃

So I have health anxiety since 9 Years, went thru a lot of ER, a lot of symptoms but this time is getting really scary on my side. I'm turning 29 next month.

It started in 2019, when I was with some friends. For no reason my heart started racing, I was relaxed and all, but i was thinking it was a panic attack so i relaxed and then it passed after 15-20 minutes.

This episode went ON and OFF, sometimes I can have a 140 bpm when standing up, and when sitting 80-90 bpm. They can last all day or they can last hours or minutes. It depends a lot on my anxiety levels as well. I had times when I didn't had them for a month, and they just come back for some reason. In pause state where I don't have them, I can exercise and do basically anything I want..i noticed that after a prolonged stress event, after a couple of days I start to have them. I had them now for 4 days after COVID, and some stress. But now It passed, and When I stand I can have 104 bpm, when i Sit 70-80 depends..

Had 3 DR that found nothing..Had an 24/48h EKG and ECO they found nothing, even though I had the elevated heart rate..Is had to trust them. Because they are still coming back now and then. In my mind because I did read a LOTTT, like a LOT about heart issues...and that is hard to diagnose it..makes things wors with my health anxiety..

Now i will go on another appointment soon this month to have the test done again (LAST TIME), but I don't know what to do..I noticed that when my anxiety levels are no that high even if I have my HR elevated I don't feel it, and it does not disturb me at all. But when I have anxiety i constantly focus on the heart, take my heart rate non stop...I'm really afraid, because nobody can tell me anything, I want to fix it and i have no idea how..If anyone can help me with some info I would kindly appreciate it. This is the only symptom I have. I had days where I had chest pain, and back pain..went to ER and nothing..posture was the problem. Thank you so much

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Anyone ? 😦 i really feel without hope..

• Posted

I have this alot. Couple of things its worth mentioning here.

1. Your heart rate will always be higher when you are standing, opposed to when you are sitting.
    2. There is a condition called Postural tachycardia syndrome (PoTS), that you may want to look up on the NHS website and discuss with a doctor.
    3. If a doctor has seen an ECG at the time the fast heart rate was occuring, that should give you confidence that its benign, doctors can actually read the waves on the ECG and see if the heart is in trouble.
    4. If it is related to anxiety or panic maybe request some slow release Propranolol from your doctor and see if he/she thinks its suitable for you.
    5. Other factors such as caffeine can affect your heart rate massively.
    • Posted

Thank you so much for your response.

Well I had 4 doctors tell me the same, that i'm all fine. And I noticed that when i'm calm, I have no palpitation, or if I'm distracted.

The only test that I didn't had is the stress test. I don't drink caffeine but I do smoke like a lot..and i try to stop . Is not POTS, because sometimes I have it and sometimes don't.

For example now I can do whatever I want and my heart is fine, I feel it pumping because i'm heart focused but the pulse is normal and all. I have it since 2 years now, So I think I just have to stop worrying about it and let it be. But is hard.

Cause sometimes I have chest pain as well due to GERD and makes my mind think is heart related when is not.

• Posted

I have also noticed that if I eat a large meal then my heart rate will increase from ~80 BPM to 100 BPM while its digesting, I spoke to my doctor about this and he said that it was normal for this to occur due to blood being redirected to extract the nutrients from my meal. I think its a bit more complicated than that but he was telling me in layman's terms

• Posted

Right, i started rating slower and not to much to blow up my stomach, i had a period of good days like 2 weeks, and then for no reason at all it started again...expecially first time in the morning, i mostly sit or lay down to slow it down. My dr told me is Sinus Tachycardia , and told me is benign , and to take meds only if i need it. Well even if i have my pulse high i dont take the meds cause i dont like doing it. I just wait it out. It can last from 10 minutes up to an hour. I really hope my dr knows better and i just want to trust it. Not being anxious about it sometimes it helps but im hyper aware of everything heart related. Still afraid of having a heart issue. Or just dropping dead one day...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.